never cruised - booking for parents

May 2nd, 2001, 04:18 AM
lee

never cruised - booking for parents

Any help is welcome. My parents (seniors) want to go to either Alaska or Caribbean. I don't know anything about cruises. Where shoudl I start looking and what should I be asking? Thanks

May 2nd, 2001, 08:51 AM
Tanya

I would ask friends if there are any travel agents in your area they have had great success with. Then make an appointment for your parents to sit and decide what they are looking for in an itinerary, etc. When you say seniors do you mean "young" or "old". My dad is 76 and I would consider him to be young - rearing to go and do lots. The Holland American line is wonderful and when I cruised mostly had seniors on it. Carnival is more suited to a younger generation. All cruises offer lots to do or as little as you want. If your parents don't enjoy hot weather, the Alaskan cruise may be just the ticket. Have they travelled before? Make sure if there are any health problems there are qualified medical staff on board. Sorry I couldn't be more specific but it is a broad question you ask.

May 3rd, 2001, 03:05 PM
lee

Thanks for the reply. I found a wonderful cruise agent- highly recommended. She found an Alaska cruise at a great price on Celebrity and the dates all slot in. So I think that will be the way to go. How cold is it at the end of May? Thanks

May 3rd, 2001, 08:07 PM
ccc

Chilly- Make sure they bring sweater and jacket for layering.They will LOVE Celebrity.

May 3rd, 2001, 08:51 PM
Fran

My cruise in May was very cold, forties. Be sure they take a jacket, gloves, etc. There were many people onboard who were not prepared and ended up buying coats on the ship, not only is that an expensive way to go but everyone had on the same thing.