Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Need something to do in Miami (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/need-something-to-do-in-miami-121070/)

Scott Apr 29th, 2001 07:31 PM

Need something to do in Miami

Hi, <BR> <BR>My wife and I will have about 6 hours after our cruise waiting for our flight back home. We are trying to figure out what to do in Miami until its time to go. I suggested hanging out at South Beach but she is not sure. Any suggestions? <BR> <BR>SCott

Tanya Apr 30th, 2001 05:21 AM

Six hours isn't a lot of time by the time you depart, get a cab, etc., etc. South Beach isn't exactly close to the airport and depending on traffic you may find yourself rushing. What about Coconut Grove? I haven't been to Miami in several years and things change so rapidly.

Cathy Apr 30th, 2001 01:08 PM

I am in the same predicament Scott. Did my own airfare (really for me and a friend). Got a fantastic price but the flight does not leave until 5:00 pm. I have another friend who will join us for the cruise and her flight leaves at 3:00. <BR>We are trying to see if any of us knows somebody in Miami. We probably won't do South Beach because we are flying in the day before the cruise doing South Beach then. <BR>Here are two things that may be an option. The cruise lines often have tours of Miami for people who have late flights. I don't know if you will be interested in that. Another option is there is a new mall open 5 miles from the airport called the Dolphin Mall. It is supposed to be a mega mall. We were thinking about taking a cab to the airport, checking our luggage early then taking a cab to the mall to eat at the food court, take in a movie or leisurely shop for those last minute Miami souv.'s. Coconut Grove is nice, but from the port, the cab fare would be expensive. And most of what to see there is shopping based. We are figuring a cab from the airport to the Dolphin Mall would be dirt cheap.

Scott Apr 30th, 2001 03:47 PM

Thnaks ladies for your tips ...The Mega Mall sounds like it might work !! <BR> <BR>Scott

Paul Therault Apr 30th, 2001 05:34 PM

<BR>Hi Scott, <BR> <BR>I believe this is the best place. It is unique and not like a mall. <BR> <BR>It is called Bayside Marketplace and it is on Biscayne Bay. You can see it from the ship. <BR> <BR>You can spend many hours there. Huge food court, restaurants, upscale shops, tented craft vendors and costume jewelry vendors, great entertainment, bay cruises, people watching, boat watching, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. etc. <BR> <BR>You can check your luggage at the ariport and either take a cab or the airport shuttle to Bayside. It is a short ride from the airport. Next to the cruise ship pier. <BR> <BR>Paul

Cathy May 1st, 2001 06:23 PM

Question to Paul: <BR> <BR>Bayside Marketplace is nice, but if you take a taxi to the airport from the port, thats about $20, then if you check your luggage at the airport and taxi back to Bayside, that will be another $20 and then back to the airport will be yet another $20. I have not been to the Dolphin Mall but I have heard it is nice. It just opened in March and it is only a few minutes from the airport - probably a $5 cab ride. <BR> <BR>Have you had any clients who have visited the mall or have you gotten any info on Dolphin Mall?

Paul Therault May 2nd, 2001 01:22 AM

<BR>Taxi cost about $12, the shuttle about $7. It will cost about $5 to step into the taxi and go nowhere. <BR> <BR>Paul <BR> <BR>

Paul Therault May 2nd, 2001 01:24 AM

<BR>Oh yes, I forgot. The shuttle is across the steet from baggage claim. <BR> <BR>Paul

Paul Therault May 2nd, 2001 01:26 AM

<BR>Oops, I meant across the street from the pier. Right outside baggage claim at the airport. <BR> <BR>Paul

Parrot Mom May 2nd, 2001 03:08 AM

A mall is a mall is a mall...Malls used to be fun, but now they all look alike with the chain stores... I often don't agree with Paul, but Bayside is a fun place..lots of spots to eat and people watch and the shopping is fun.. If Dick's Last Resort is opened..great ribs..

Cathy May 2nd, 2001 07:43 PM

The shuttle that costs $7 - is that a shuttle to Bayside Marketplace or to the airport? Speaking of shuttles, what is the cheapest shuttle from the airport to the south beach area?

Paul Therault May 3rd, 2001 12:33 AM

<BR>The prices for the airport shuttle are as follows: <BR> <BR>From the aiport to the ship is $7.50. <BR>From the ship to the airport is $7.50. <BR>From the airport to Bayside is $10.50. <BR>From Bayside to the airport is $10.50. <BR>From the airport to the hotels on Collins Avenue depends on how far up Collins Avenue the hotel is located. <BR> <BR>Paul

Cathy May 3rd, 2001 06:41 PM

Thanks Paul for the information! Just one more question: Does the shuttle company have a particular name, or is it the only one in Miami? The reason I ask is that I have been quoted $15 - $20 dollar prices for a shuttle from airport to port. <BR> <BR>If you are following this Scott, or anyone else who wants mall info, I have found the websites for both the Dolphin Mall and Bayside Marketplace. Bayside is www.baysidemarketplace.com and Dolphin Mall is www.shopdolphinmall.com. Bayside has great eateries but Dolphin will have a cinaplex(movies) starting Memorial Day.