Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > need help planning first cruise, with teens

need help planning first cruise, with teens

Jun 10th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Penny

need help planning first cruise, with teens

My husband and I are considering a Caribbean or Bermuda cruise with our two children, who by the time of the cruise (Feb. or Apr.?) will be 16 and 13.

Any advice on which line, which destination, when to go, etc.? We're in early planning stages and can use all the help we can get.

Thanks!

Jun 10th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Penny,

Not very difficult. All cruise lines have children's programs. Plenty of activities to keep them busy while you do your own thing. It will be difficult for you to find them at times and they will not want to spend much time with you.

Not matter how small or large the ship they will find many new friends.

Most teens usually hate a structured program. After the first get-together they usually go off on their own and hang out together all day and all night.

They will know what to do and will have a great time.

Paul

Jun 10th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Paul Therault

Whoops, almost forgot. Do not plan to sail to Bermuda in February or April unless you hire your own cruise line.

Paul

Jun 14th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Shirley

I have been on a number of cruises with my teens. Not "all" lines are equally good for teens. I would recommend Royal Caribbean, the newer ships with all the bells and whistles, rock climbing walls, special teen centers etc. have my teen daughter drooling. Voyager, Explorer,Radience. These ships are a destination in themselves. We were pleased with the efforts and separate teen center on the Enchantment of the Sea.Some lines do a nice job with children, but not teens. My daughter was very disappointed with Norwegian Cruise Line N. Sea. (older ship) Teens , and there were many during spring break, were definitely treated as second class citizens. Ignored, no separate teen hang out and few activities. If you cruise at a time where there are few other kids on vacation the cruise provided teen amenities will be fewer. My daughter wants lots of other teens around. Choose carefully, you do not want a ship with a predominately older crowd. Check out the message boards on cruisecritic.com

Search this Thread