Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   NE/Canada ok cruise for 30 something? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ne-canada-ok-cruise-for-30-something-706870/)

marco2121 May 21st, 2007 12:03 PM

NE/Canada ok cruise for 30 something?

We are thinking of doing a 7 day Princess or HCL (depending on what is available) New England/Canada Trip. My husband & I are in our early 30's. Are these cruises geared for the retiree crowd? We aren't big nightclub, etc, but we're worried the only activities on board will be bridge and evening shows geared to the retiree age.

Any thoughts? Also, in late September is it possible to still sit out on deck (we're used to new england weather) or will it be too cold. If too cold, what do people do during the days not in port?

Excited about trying a destination other than the carribiean!

Thank you,

Michelle

Percy May 21st, 2007 03:24 PM

Weather in the New England States and Canada can always be a bit unpredictable...more so in late September but the Autumn Fall colors should be great.

Personally I would not worry about the activities on the ship or how old the people are,because...

what you want to make sure is that YOU see the ports and places that are of interest to you.

You and your husband have a good time.
Oh yes ,can you sit out on the deck..yes, but you might have to wear a sweater on some days!

Percy

Theresa May 21st, 2007 05:09 PM

I did this cruise in 2005 on Princess and am looking to do this again this fall.

The cruise is very port intensive (only 1 sea day) so shipboard activities are not that big of a deal.

We went mid October and I thought the weather was gorgeous - though it can be unpredictable... It rained the 2 weeks prior to our cruise. I brought a light jacket with me and wore it for half of the cruise. We probably had 50's and 60's temps during the day. It did get cool at night.

I am in my 30's and didn't feel out of place. There were people of all ages on the ship. HAL would have an older group but I wouldn't let this stop yous as you will be in port for the vast part of the cruise.

Julia_E May 22nd, 2007 11:56 AM

I completely agree with the other posters - I am in my mid-30's and took the Montreal-Boston cruise about 2 years ago with Holland America. It was a great trip!

We went in early June and there were no crowds. I did more active shore excursions, such as the walking city tour in Quebec City, the Anne of Green Gables tour in Charlottetown and biking in Acadia National Park. There are first-run movies every evening, a nice place to sit for a glass of wine, an outstanding spa with good prices for services and treatments. There are bridge games and evening shows, but there are also activities for younger adults, too.

It is a great cruise, with beautiful scenery and wonderful ports. Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Julia

tower Jun 20th, 2013 08:04 PM

I find it ludicrous that "young" people worry about too many retirees and other seniors on board.

Believe me, Michele,(I'm going solo...on H.A.L. Quebec-Boston...due to my wife's incapacitation and I need a break from my heavy schedule) and I assure you that should you and your husband find the time to sit and chat with me on deck, it would be a most illuminating experience. Over many decades, I've independently traveled to 75+ countries, I'm a somewhat-known widely pubished author of historical novels, and considered to be an exceptionally entertaining "young" raconteur.(A good many of the "older" crowd could probably match and surpass that.. I'm sure)

..Oh, yes, just looked at my still active driver's license...<b>1929</b>. Ooooh, that's so ancient!
Bah, humbug!

Rhea58 Jun 21st, 2013 12:22 AM

I'm booked on the 9/28 NCL Gem to Canada/New England & from the rollcall responses for our Meet & Greet we have folks in all age groups.

Having sailed her twice before, I can attest to the very varied evening entertainment which is quite enjoyable.

katybird Jul 1st, 2013 12:11 PM

original post was 2007...Hope Michelle had a good time!

aceto5411 Jul 6th, 2013 12:02 AM

Cruise lines gear some cruises to specific age groups.
You may not want to book a cruise that is set up for the big band era. And then again you might not want to be on a singles only cruise. Talk to your cruise line and see they have in the works. They will have one coming up that will be perfect for you. Have fun.

ParrotMom Jul 9th, 2013 04:29 PM

Give me a break!!! The N.E./Canada cruises are highly UNDERATED!!! I'm a senior and we found people of all ages on these cruises, we have been several times.. Boston ( my home), Portland, (a gem), Halifax(swinging college town), St, John. Boothbay (the best lobster ever).... a throwback and charming and other ports all have something to offer. It's not like the Caribbean where when you get off the ships you find jewelry and liquor stores galore hitting you in the face. The locals are delighted to greet and help you and they don't look at you like a money cow. The main thing is the history and scenery. If I had my druthers I'd go as early as possible, foliage changing is up to Mother Nature and she is pretty fickle.

joebeone Jul 12th, 2013 02:44 AM

took this cruise last year w/rcl & our youngest son (32) and his son to be fiancee (he ask her to marry him on the cruise). we each did our own things. the only time we toured together was in Halifax as he wanted to the do the activity in the fort, so the 3 of us just walked around Halifax and the harbor, then met up with him for lunch. they wanted to do the carriage ride in arcadia but didn't prebook, plus that was our only rainy day. we took a bus tour around arcadia and cadillac mt.; portland just walked around (we're from the boston area) & have been to portland before; in st. johns did the train, and a historical walking tour. enjoy the area.