Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   NCL - Norway (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ncl-norway-271610/)

Buffy Nov 7th, 2002 10:04 AM

NCL - Norway

Hi,<BR><BR>I am planning a 1 week cruise to the Carribean on the NCL-Norway. What are your views/opinions on this ship in terms of size of the ship, dining choices, service level, activities etc...<BR><BR>I would appreciate any comments regarding this ship.<BR><BR>thanks<BR>

kjl Nov 7th, 2002 10:28 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't go on the Norway. There are lots of lovely ships, but this isn't one of them.

Jason Nov 7th, 2002 11:04 AM

Buffy<BR>Why the Norway??It's too big and too old.Just curious

Peter Nov 7th, 2002 12:39 PM

Look at it this way - the Norway compared to, say, the Voyager is like a 1948 Chevrolet compared to a 2002 Lexus.<BR>The Chevy will still get you around, but without the air conditioning, CD player, sound proof cabin, etc.

Jason Nov 7th, 2002 12:45 PM

Peter<BR>You got a &quot;48 chevy?? You know how much you can get for that in Havanna??????

Camelia Nov 8th, 2002 05:25 AM

I was on the Norway a few years ago and would never go back...TOO big...you have to tender into EVERY port which is just a waste of time..the food in their dining room was ok but in the buffets it was worse than cafeteria food...I've just come back from the Sea Princess where the buffets were really wonderful..variety..great service..and you could see that effort had been put into each day's selections.<BR><BR>Camelia

Laura Nov 8th, 2002 10:35 AM

Hi Buffy,<BR>I thought you should get at least one positive reply about the Norway... I have sailed on her twice ('97 &amp; '99) and we had a great time on both trips. I had read a lot of reviews &amp; message board comments before each cruise, so I knew not to expect the same thing I would find on a newer ship, but we did not experience any of the negative things I had read about. Staff &amp; service were very good, dining room food was delicious, never had a problem finding a deck chair, only took a day or so to get a handle on getting around the ship. Probably about the only negative thing I would agree with is regarding the food at the Great Outdoor Restaurant (buffet), the regular line food was nothing special, but the daily cook-to-order stations were always good. My husband &amp; I did have a suite both times, so that helped with having a positive attitute about our room, but on the 2nd trip, we traveled with other members of my family who had regular rooms that were comfortable, albeit very small. We never found tendering to be that big of deal, but we were never in that great of hurry to get anywhere either. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.<BR>Laura

natalie Nov 10th, 2002 12:07 PM

Norwegian is starting an East Carib route with a brand new ship &quot;Dawn&quot; in December - check it out! I'll be going in Feb. = )

Jim Nov 13th, 2002 10:55 AM

The Norway is a classic. She is more than 1000 feet long and she has a deep draft. So, she does tender into ports. BUT the tenders carry 400 passengers so the transfer is quick and efficient.<BR>She is ong, and beautiful..If you want neon and plastic, go with one of the new monsters, if you want to experience the classic ocean liner, give the Norway a try.<BR>Food and service are on par with any of the popular liens.

jimdo Nov 13th, 2002 03:26 PM

Sorry Jim, but the Norway is as out of style as a lava lamp. It is old, rusty, has nasty cabins. Do not waste your money on this ship.

xx Nov 17th, 2002 03:06 PM

Buffy - We had a great time on the Norway - found none of the problems people are complaining about. Sure it's an older ship and doesn't have all the glitz. But it a ship that gets you where you are going, served good food, had good service. What else can you ask for? My only negative comment was the cabin was quite small but once I got over the &quot;how small&quot;, I did fine. Stop and think about it - if you are spending all that time in your cabin, why go on a cruise. We were there to clean up and sleep. Don't let the nay sayers scare you off. Some people like the fancy trappings - if you are one of those, you might consider another ship.

Julian Dec 26th, 2002 07:46 PM

I will say it again. We were just on the Norway in Sept 02'. Yes she is an older ship. She has a lot of charm though! We really had a great time. I have cruised on several lines/ships. But the Norway has it's own style, character,old world charm. We met some of the nicest people that we still keep in contact with. Our room was very clean, the staff very freindly, the food wonderful and the shows were very entertaining.We got so much out of our cruise on the Norway. I guess you get out of your cruise just what you put into it.I would go on the Norway again! If you have any other questions about the Norway, please send me an emai.

lki Dec 27th, 2002 05:41 AM

The Norway is a dump! Do not waste your money because some people &quot;love it&quot;......some people also have bad taste. The ship is dirty, smells bad, and I wouldn't ever go on it again.

judy Jan 2nd, 2003 03:37 AM

Went on the Norway last year. Loved it, because it was an old ship. We went to all the historical talks and spend time looking for things from the past. Our room and our friends room were the first class rooms, when there were classes. They were big and very comfortable. The food in the dinning rooms was fine, but the outside buffet was so, so.<BR>You can't beat the price for a 7 day trip.<BR>By the way tendering went very quickly, no problem.

Leslie Jan 2nd, 2003 06:45 PM

Regarding the Norway....and comparing cars to her....she is a classic ocean liner that was built to cross the Atlantic...not a floating hotel like the newer ships...the new ships are the new BMW's and the Norway is a classic silver cloud Rolls Royce....no comparison....two different products...if you want the new product, you will not like the Norway...if you want to experience a cruise on a &quot;real&quot; ship...a true ocean liner...and to relive the old style days of cruising, then do the Norway for that experience. Prices are extremely reasonable for a suite...especially off season...It takes a while to find your way around...I have cruise on her 9 times and it took about 3 cruises before I really knew my way around better than the crew!!! The Norway is the only NCL ship that still has the traditional two seating dining and not the Freestyle (which I hate as most true cruise veterans do), and I would recommend the late seating since the early is usually taken by elderly people and people with small children...the early seating cuts into your day and you don't even get to see a sunset!!! Do the Norway while she is still around to experience the grand old days of cruising and one of the finest ships ever built!!! Do not expect gourmet food...the food is more hotel banquet type food but good for the price of the cruise experience. If you want better food, do Celebrity or Princess. If you know the history of the Norway in advance before you get on her and know what to expect, you will have a wonderful time. She will not be around much longer so enjoy her while you can. Happy cruising!!!

Paul Therault Jan 2nd, 2003 10:45 PM

Go to www.cruisediva.com for an accurate review of the Norway.<BR><BR>Paul