Reload this Page >

NCL Majesty or RC's Majesty of Seas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:56 AM
mc

We are first time cruisers. I'm taking my three children, aged 6, 12, 15 on a cruise for spring break. The prices are comparable on these cruises. Are the experiences comparable? Thanks!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Parrot Mom

The NCL Majesty has 1462 and the RCi carries over 2700 passengers...I'm sure Paul can fill you in on the NCL Majesty.. I do know NCL has a teen program..

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Paul Therault

No way Parrotmom. That's your job.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Parrot Mom

Paul I meant you could tell her about the Majesty of the Seas..lol

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Peter

Parrot Mom - to be precise, the RCCL Majesty of the Seas holds 2,354 passengers at double occupancy.<BR><BR>If the prices are comparable, there is no question that you should take the RCCL Majesty. Before she was &quot;stretched&quot; (the ship was cut in half and a new 110 foot section was welded in), she held 1,056 passengers and occupied 32,000 tons. After the surgery, she now holds 1,462 passengers and occupies 40,876 tons. So basically, she is an old, outdated ship thats had some plastic surgery and a new coat of paint.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Amy

I have to disagree with the latest post. Went on the NCL Majesty for my honeymoon, after the stretching, and loved it. I think it would depend on what you are looking for in a cruise. Majesty is quieter; NCL does have a good teen program, as well as something for younger children. The food was excellent, as was the service (dining/cabin). RCI is also very nice, though, so if you're looking for a bigger ship with more &quot;glitz&quot; (and I don't mean that in a bad way), it may be the right choice for you. You may see more children on RCI - I didn't see many on NCL. I have noticed that RCI ships tend to have less open (outdoor) space than other ships. Either way, I think you will have a great time - you've definitely picked two of the better lines for traveling with children! Feel free to email me if you have questions!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Parrot Mom

Sorry to disagree with you Peter, but I'm looking at the specs on page 31 and it says that the RC Majesty of the Seas has a &quot;Passenger Capacity of 2,744) The Royal/Norweigan MAjesty was stretched and holds 1462 double occupancy. As for me I prefer smalller ships, i.e. NCL Majesty and my one experience on RCI BOS was not positive...my expectations I believe were too high sadly Yes, NCL does have a great kids programs.. More important for &quot;mc&quot; is which destinations they prefer. Can you imagine I turned down the brand new NCL Dawn for the NCL Sea because of destinations...same approximate price.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Peter

Parrot Mom - you can look on ten different cruise ship info sites and find at least five different passenger capacities for the Majesty of the Seas. Some are full passenger capacities with quads counted as four and others are assumed double occupancy where that same cabin would be counted as two. The important thing, here, is that the Majesty of the Seas is far superior to the NCL Majesty in my opinion.<BR><BR>The NCL Majesty was built in 1992 ordered by the Birka Line and designed to do one-day cruises from Stockholm. Very little attention paid to the ship ammenities for week long cruising like entertainment theaters, cigar smoking rooms, elegant dining rooms, etc. The ship's builder went bankrupt and the contract was sold to the Majesty Cruise Line and named the Royal Majesty. It was, in turn, sold to NCL in late 1997 and stretched in 1999.<BR><BR>She is still an old, poorly designed ship that was stretched to increase the passenger capacity with some attention to the ammenities mentioned above.