Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   NCL Majesty or NCL Crown (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ncl-majesty-or-ncl-crown-481160/)

shankarti Oct 18th, 2004 09:45 PM

NCL Majesty or NCL Crown

Hello
I am considering a cruise to Bermuda next June (2005) and am trying to decide between NCL Majesty and NCL Crown. Any suggestions on which one to choose? I noticed that Majesty only docks in St George, and the Crown docks at all 4 ports in Bermuda. When it shifts ports do we all need to go through the embarkation and dis-embarkation process or can we just stay on the island while the ship re-docks? I will be travelling with 2 children 8 and 11.

Thanks for your help!

gail Oct 19th, 2004 03:32 AM

What 4 ports? - I thought Crown docked in Hamilton and St. George, but I could be wrong. When we looked at schedule for summer 2004, Crown got you less time in Bermuda than Majesty, though. For us, decision was easy since Majesty left from Boston - we could drive to pier.

We sailed Majesty August 2004. St. George was fine, but it takes about 30 minutes on bus to Hamilton, and then longer to some beaches - so it might have been nice to also dock in Hamilton.

According to NCL stuff we received, when ship changes port you can either stay on or meet ship at new port. On and off is no different than what you would do any time you left ship - they scan your cruise ID card and you get on or off.

ParrotMom Oct 19th, 2004 05:54 AM

Last year after nine trips on the Majesty and being docked in St. George the whole time we decided to try the Sea which would have docked in St. George and then either in the Dockyard or Hamilton,Idon't remember..it would have been ideal, but we ran into the hurricane and ended up in Bermuda North.. I think the NCL Crown and TWO dockings is fine.. you as Gail said do not have to worry about getting on the ship when it moves..just show your ID andyour all set.. With the four new ferries getting around is so much better, although for a first timer you might want to see the different areas. For various reasons this year (our tenth trip) we spent more time in St. George and I ran aound taking pictures os scenic areas, streets and homes we had never had the opportunity or stopped long enough to appreciate..

shankarti Oct 19th, 2004 07:42 AM

Thanks Gail and ParrotMom. Actually the 4 ports was a typo, it is 3 ports St George, Hamilton and Kings Wharf.

shankarti Oct 19th, 2004 09:08 AM

one more question - how many restaurants are on these 2 ships and what are their cover charges? I looked up the Norwegian site but could not find specifics

Thanks!

gail Oct 19th, 2004 11:17 AM

Majesty has 2 regular/main dining rooms with same menu (posted each AM). They have a pasta/Italian restaurant with no cover charge but reservations required. Menu there changes daily and is also posted. Reservations required. There is a specialty "Bistro" restaurant with a cover charge - sorry, don't remember amount. Menu there was same thruout cruise.

In addition there is a pizza/burger bar open 24 hours/day. Buffet is also open B-L-D.

As my teenagers quickly figured out, since it is all open seating (no set time), it is possible to eat each meal several times - for example, our son could get a pizza and burger at 5 PM to tide him over until our 7:30 dinner. Our daughter preferred to cruise the buffet for a salad and pastry as a pre-dinner snack. (PS - both are very scrawny athletes - if I ate like that I would look like the Titanic)

ParrotMom Oct 20th, 2004 05:01 AM

Go with the Crown. if NYC is closer...you get a taste of all three ports.. St.George is my favorite.. If my memory serves me right...you are in Hamilton on Wednesday when they have the street festival and Tuesday when they have a Heritage Night and great shopping..The Dockyard has alot of little shops and galleries, plus closer to the better beaches. We avoid the buffets on NCL, but they have a barbecue on deck as they leave Bermuda to die for.. the ribs are wonderful..

shankarti Oct 25th, 2004 10:23 PM

thanks for all the help!!