Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   ncl majesty April22 any info?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ncl-majesty-april22-any-info-103703/)

cindy Feb 2nd, 2001 11:29 AM

ncl majesty April22 any info??

we are going to the southern caribbean on the majesty leaving on april 22,2001. I have heard very mixed things about this ship. Ihave been on one other cruise, on the sun princess which I absolutely loved. I just hope we picked the right ship. I would like any info anyone has on majesty or the islands we are going to(Aruba,Curacao,tortola,st.Thomas) or anyone else going to be on the same cruise! I also saw that someone wrote that April is a bad time to cruise, why is that???

deb Feb 22nd, 2001 07:25 PM

We are going on the same cruise April 8. (Aruba, Curacao, Tortola, St. Thomas)! I know that is spring break for many schools therefore it is a bad time, but that is when we can get time off. It is our first cruise, so we have nothing to compare to. It will just be so wonderful to get away, it is our 25th anniversary. We are looking forward to it. No one can have the same conditions. Good thing, too, that would be boring and we'd always know what to expect! Everyone has varied opinions, for example, we were told 'don't cruise out of Miami, fly to San Juan then cruise because the water is rough out of Miami'. So we did decide to fly to San Juan. Someone told us, 'Don't get on the bottom level,' Sooooo, we have an outside stateroom on Biscayne Deck 2nd level from the bottom. If it turns out to be a rotten trip, well, we just won't go there again and it will be the fault of those people we talked to! LOL

another Feb 23rd, 2001 06:05 AM

Someone on this forum mentioned epinions.com Check out reviews there -- I found more positvie reviews (especially about Carnival) than I've found here. It's not that I only want to hear the good -- but when I've already spent the $$$ I don't want to only hear negative!

Parrot Mom Feb 23rd, 2001 07:27 AM

We are going on the Majesty to Bermuda for the 9th time in May... If your interested in pictures please write to me.. You can go crazy on your first cruise trying to figure out what deck, what cabin etc. I have a tendency to get seasick so I prefer mid-ship and decks 4 or 6..

cindy Feb 23rd, 2001 12:51 PM

Deb, <BR> after your cruise please email me and let me know how it was!~!! <BR> Thanks, <BR>Cindy

deb Feb 24th, 2001 10:25 AM

Cindy...I will try to remember to email you when we return...only 43 more days till we sail.....woo hoo! RE: above opinion to check out epinion.com....I did look there and it is about the same as this message board...varied "e-pinions". Hey that's life. You may not like where I go, and I may not like where you go...We shall see............

Jack Sigano Feb 25th, 2001 06:44 AM

While I don't know any particulars about the ship, I would like to inform you of an unforgettable place to visit while on your cruise. When you go to Tortola, there will be an optional to go to the island of Virgin Gorda and swim at a place called the BATHS. It is a beach with gigantic rock boulders as high as 30 feet. It is a very unique experience and for us was the highlight of all the ports. NCL is notorious for having small rooms. But they are only used for sleeping, washing, etc. Aruba is a clean and pretty place. Curacao is rather dirty and somewhat smelly, but it has character. They sell fruits, fish and other food items at stands near the water and dump the waste into the water. It's not a pretty sight. You will be told that St. Thomas is a shoppers paradise. Just remember, it you don't like it the next day, you can't return it. Of the two lines you mention, I would prefer Princess, however if you don't try others you will always wonder. NCL is a good line.

Debbie Feb 27th, 2001 08:20 AM

We are going on the same ship the week before (Apr. 15th) - different itinerary. We have never cruised before so this will be a different experience! Also have heard some mixed reviews so anyone else who has any input would love to hear from! My question is..we (2 adults, 2 children) want to do a lot of snorkeling and don't know if it is worth it to bring snorkeling equipment or rent it there. Does the ship have it, or do you have to rent eqipment at each port? <BR>Also, NCL's way of automatically charging $10 per person per day for tipping is a lot (since we have 4 people). Any thoughts? <BR>

Parrot Mom Feb 27th, 2001 11:47 AM

If you figure the $10.00 per day per person per gratuity against the "suggested" tips..it comes about the same..You can at your discretion not pre-pay or charge your tips or if you do and decide that service by any one person or persons is not up to your standard you can decrease that amount..I did see that done. Our waiter and room steward received an additional envelope from us..besides our pre-paying.. Excellent service should be rewarded and since we have used this waiter on previous cruises on tje Majestyn we did not hesitate.. and it was our idea..