Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   NCL (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ncl-370564/)

Aja Oct 22nd, 2003 07:49 AM

NCL

Hasn't anyone gone on the Norwegian Wind to the Western Carribean. I would love to hear information regarding NCL and what there ships are like.

Aja

JimM Oct 22nd, 2003 10:55 AM

There are those who love NCL...and then there's those like me. I'd rather paddle a leaking kayak than sail on an NCL ship. I recently sailed on RCCL's Rhapsody around the Western Caribbean. Had a great time. But there's another person on this board who feels about RCCL the way that I feel about NCL. It's all personal opinion.

Go to www.cruisecritic.com, www.cruise-addicts.com, and www.cruisemates.com and read the reviews others have written about NCL and the Wind. There are other boards that offer reviews also.

Good luck...and have a great cruise regardless of what ship you select.

MauiMaui Oct 24th, 2003 11:41 AM

I am going on the Wind Nov 22-29, 2003 and can let you know. I have never been on it, am going only for the price and to go to Belize and Roatan. I need cruise on the Norwegian Majesty Marach 2003 and had a great time.

petlover Oct 25th, 2003 10:59 AM

Curious as to why you dislike NCL so much??

I guess we all have our favorites (mine is Radisson) but I had a very pleasant time on NCL Sun last summer on a large family reunion sailing. We had a penthouse suite (approximately 500 sq.ft. I'm guessing) and it was very nice. Entertainment and food were also good. Did you have a unique experience that has caused your dislike of NCL? I'm curious to hear more if you'd like to share.

sable Oct 26th, 2003 11:34 AM

To Petlover,
Have seen your posts on the RSSC board.
Am wondering if you can tell me about the dress code on NCL. I have a hubby who hates to dress up. Can we just bring nice casual clothes and enjoy all the evenings in the dining rooms.
My favorite is RSSC also and we just got back from Mariner So. Pacific. Hubby just wore his gray slacks and blue blazer, we call it his IMB tux, for the formal nights. So we are wondering if he can just leave them home and wear nice dark colored pants and nice silk shirts for the April Sky trans canal?
Any suggestion/feedback from anyone greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Patty Oct 27th, 2003 11:10 AM

sable,
NCL has what they call 'optional formal' nights. On those nights, one dining room will be designated formal attire and the rest of the venues will be casual. I would say the mix is about 50/50 of passengers choosing to dress up. Your husband will be fine in nice slacks/shirt. No need to pack a jacket.

sable Oct 27th, 2003 05:41 PM

Thank you for the reply about the "formal" optional code.
Hubby will be very pleased.

petlover Oct 28th, 2003 09:35 AM

Yes Sable, formal night is optional. Any type of Country Club Casual (like the clothing you described) is PERFECT!! When we sailed we opted out of the formal night all together. It made for much easier packing! I thought NCL was a very nice cruiseline. There are things you will notice as we did comparing to Radisson such as:
lots of nickle and diming going on (even charge for sodas and bottled water), push cocktails in souvenier glasses etc.

lines getting on and off ship, lines at buffets, needing to get to the nightly entertainment early enough to get decent seats

announcements made and heard through out the ship

not nearly as personalized and pampered feeling as on Raddison.

The need to upgrade to a suite of some type to equal a standard room on Radisson ships.

You do need to tip ($10 per person per day) tips are not included as on Radisson.

Unlike Radisson, they charge to eat at the alternative restaurants. Depending on how many are in your party, this can really add up.

No complimentary cocktails/liquor/wine at dinner

larger ships, more spread out and easier to get confused as to where "what" is...

Can't think of any other things off hand. I think you will like NCL, we had a very nice time....just a different experience than Radisson.

The entertainment on NCL Sun was really good IMO. and the ship was very pretty.

Have a wonderful time!

sable Oct 28th, 2003 10:35 AM

Petlover

Yes, we have sailed on NCL in the past along with several other lines and know this line is completely different from Radisson. We have a great time whether we are on a Volga river boat or a Radisson.
I do thank you for your additional input, especially about the "formal" dress. We are always trying to find ways to pack lighter and leaving the formal clothes, shoes home will help.
Happy sailing to all.
Joanne

clc6p Oct 30th, 2003 07:43 PM

My husband and I just got off the NCL Star--we did the 7 day Hawaii cruise. The ship was new and very nice and I thought the activities were some of the best I have seen ( This was our 6th cruise- despite that we are only in our late 20's-early 30's.) In addition to the great walking deck on the top--they had a great walking deck on deck 7 that was covered and went around the outside of the whole ship with tunnels at both ends. There was a sports incentive to complete enough activities ( walk a mile etc.) to get a free Ocean in Motion tee shirt. In addition to their regular entertainment--that had great polynesian program that included daily lei making, hula dance class, and polynesian shows at night. The food was good and I liked the idea of what NCL promotes as freestyle dining, because I like to be able to get a table for 2, and go to dinner when and where I want. There were 2 regular main dining rooms each with a different decor, and 2 other specialty restaurants that were also free, but required reservations. There were 4 others that required an additional fee. We saw no reason to go to the pay restaurants, as we had both Lobster and Filet Mignon at the regular restaurants. As I said the food was okay, but I personally preferred the food on Carnival and RCCL. Also, the freestyle dining was nice, but I felt like the service in the dining room occasionally lacked with this. It was very "hit or miss" with the wait staff as compared to the other cruises I have been on. I would sale NCL again if I got a good deal or depending on the situation, but I don't think it would be my first choice if I had other options. On formal night Versailles was designated for coat and ties only, but you could eat in any of the 7 other main restaurants or the Market Cafe without dressing up......