Navagator of the Seas Bars

Mar 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Navagator of the Seas Bars

Do the bars on cruise ships, specifically the RC Navagator of the Seas, serve food?
On land, here in the midwest, bar & grill establishment serve food while bars do not, I think, other than maybe popcorn and nuts (I don't frequent bars but enjoy eating out with my husband at several bar & grills). I was curious because I am going on a cruise this summer and was looking for places to eat on board other than the main dining room or the Windjammer or the more expenisve restraunts that ask a cover charge. I'd like to have some opthions other than spending too much more money.
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Typically, they do not serve food in the bars or night clubs on cruise ships. The bars and night clubs are entertainment venues and not food venues. The main reason why food is not available is the lack of kitchens. All food are confined to a few areas for efficency reasons.

I don't remember anything remotely like a "pub" on the RCCL ships. On the Princess, they have a bar called Wheelhouse and they serve "pub lunches". It is food that they brought into the room and served from a servng table and not cook to order like the dining rooms, and it is available only during limited hours.

If you want to have a beer and some real food at a bar and grill setting (example: Outback or Lone Star), you maybe out of luck unless you want to pay $5 and go to Johnny Rockets. That is going to be as close to a bar and grill as you can get.

Food is plentiful and drinks are plentiful on a crusie ship. It is just not in the setting that you were looking for. You can take your food from Windjammer and take it to the pool side and have a drink with your meal there. And I guess they won't stop you from taking your food and whatever to the bar and eat your food and have a drink there.

I believe the reason you liked the bar and grill setting is the type of food, and possibly the setting. Unfortuantely, it is just not generally available on a cruise ship.
Mar 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM

If all else failed, there is the Cafe on the Royal Promenade, which serves lighter type of food.
Mar 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Eschew. I will have a good time wherever I eat, and iced tea will work just fine, too. I was just wondering where all I could grab a bite. I'll explore and find (I'm sure) that you are right, there will be food available all over the ship. Thanks. Getting a bit antsy for summer to get here.
Mar 27th, 2010, 10:15 PM

On Norwegian the serve chocolate-dipped strawberries with champagne, and dry mix with martinis, do they do the same on RCCL?
Mar 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Well Annie, there will be no shortage of food ... I'll be surprised if you do not trip all over them. Besides the dining room and the buffet, there are several food area that is included. You may want to go to the cruise ship review section of Fodor and see what is listed there. There is always the room service .... I can't wait till our next ship board experience.

We have decided to go on a "stationary" cruise on the Queen Mary for a few days. Everyone is telling us that we are crazy to do that but we have the time plananed out already, including "shore excursion" to Catalina Island etc. It's nostalgic as well as my father travelled on the Queen Mary in his younger days so it will be interesting to stay a few nights on the old classic ship, without the wave.
Mar 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

I will check out the cruise ship review section as you suggest. I think your cruise on the Queen Mary will be a lot of fun. You must post a report as how it turns out.
Apr 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM

We will be in LA in May and plan to be on the ship for 4 nights. The Queen Mary is permanenetly docked and is rated as a 3 star hotel. I am not sure if I can call it a "cruise" as the ship doesn't move!