Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Naples/Amalfi Coast - Reputable private tour operator.

Naples/Amalfi Coast - Reputable private tour operator.

Sep 6th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Naples/Amalfi Coast - Reputable private tour operator.

I will be on a cruise that docks in Italy, I would like to visit the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii by private tour.

I have quotes from the following companies, all are about the same pricebr />
www.seesorrento.com,
www.lglimoservice.com,
www.pleasantravel.com, and
www.sorrentotopcar.com

I have not used any of these companies and I don't know which are reputable.
I would like feedback from fodorites who have used either of these companies (or anohter reputable company). What experiences have fodorites had?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Just coming from med cruise In Naples I used www.sorrentosilverstar.com for Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento. I highly recommend this company!!!
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM

I know about the first two and you should have no problems.

However, there will be quite a few
driver/taxi/guides at the cruise ship when you disembark.

My tour guide and driver was about 15 minutes late , soI stood around talking to some of the taxi/guides and they

were just super... in fact I told one fellow ..if my guide does not show up in the next 10 minutes , the you and I are off together.!

Here is the name of another great guy:

Giovanni Rotondo( always happy and laughing !!)

[email protected]
[email protected]

Percy
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Gee!!

william18 and I posted 2 minutes apart !

Percy
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM

We were very satisfied with Giovanni from www.tourofitaly.com
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions, I will contact the companies recommended.
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM

I just returned from 3 months in sorrento. if you are docking in that port send an email to Sig.
Fiorentino at [email protected] he arranged several days of tours for a friend of mine who was celebrating her 50th b day party.

the group went to capri and either Amalphi or Postitano by private driver. See what he can do for you.
Sep 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Do consider just hiring a driver just off the boat. We, a party of 6 came off the boat late at about 9:15 AM. We had 3 drivers negotiating with us as very few people left on the boat. For $200 driver took us to Pompeii, Positano, Sorrento and a short drive down the Amalfi coast. Best day of our trip and we were all jet lagged.
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:42 PM

If your still deciding I highly recommend Seesorrento.com. We used Marcello and he was one of the best guides we have ever hired, and we've hired a lot. He takes care of all the details including getting into Pompeii with a licensed guide. The tour was relaxing, even with the famous traffic jams along the coast. We stopped many times to enjoy the views, learn the history and sample roadside stands. The lunch in the hills overlooking the coast was magnificent. Great regional food and very goo wine, as much as you could eat & drink. For desert there was ever flavor of "cello" one could imagine, yes including lemoncello. Marcello is highly recommended by cruisers on the Cruise Critics boards. Enjoy your trip.
Feb 8th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Without hesitation I would recommend Salvatore Lucibello of www.DriveAmalfi.com who hails from the Town of Amalfi and who was a a fountain of knowledge throughout the day. We visited a great little family run trattoria way up in the hills a world away from the tourist traps in a place that only a local would visit. If you can form a small group the price is fantastic when compared to the tours offered by the cruiseline. The Amalfi Coast is one place where you don't want to be stuck on a big tou bus and private tours with local drivers are the only way to go
Feb 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM

On a sidenote....any suggestion on which town to base ourselves during a four day trip to the Amalfi Coast/Capri? We are looking for a top notch place to stay. Thank you! I appreciate the reviews on the drivers....we need to book that too!
Mar 26th, 2009, 03:55 AM

I used Sorrentotopcar and spend a beautiful day at the amalfi coast with Giuseppe. We made stops at Positano, Amalfi and Ravello and also a lot of other little villages along the coast. The highlight was the restaurant at ravello he raccomandated us...if you choose him I think you will have shurely a beautiful day!
Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM

If I go piggy back on this thread ... I am also checking out guides for the day. We will be in port in June. I have quotes from 400E to 550E for four people for an 8 hr. day. That appears to be high in comparison to Greece (Athen - 200E for a full day) (Kusadasi $200 for full day) ... have any of you actually used a taxi/guide for a full day and what did it run you? Thanks
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM

I used Carmine of seeamalficoast.com , a very nice person, he give us also a free sample of limoncello..We paid 350 euro for a 8 hours tour of Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento for seven people.

Search this Thread