Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Mykonos Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/mykonos-help-178459/)

sue Aug 21st, 2001 12:15 PM

Mykonos Help

We are going on the Royal Olympic Voyager in late Sep and the last port of call is Mykonos for about 5 hours. The ship offers a tour and dinner, but my TA suggested just walking around the town, etc. We arrive at 7 pm....any suggestions as to what my friend (girl) and I can do during that short timeframe? Never been to the Greek Isles so not too savy on the area. Thank you for your help.

debra Aug 21st, 2001 03:03 PM

Sue, we were in Mykanos a few weeks ago for one day, on a cruise, and the best thing we found to do was to just wander around the township looking at the sites and talking to the locals. There are a number of taverns right on the waterfront which are just great to sit and have a drink at and watch the world go by. We took our swimming gear ashore and went for a swim which was pretty special. Have fun, we loved it! The jewellery was great there too but be sure you negotiate on the price.

Paul Therault Aug 22nd, 2001 01:15 AM

<BR>Hi Sue, <BR> <BR>What everyone says is true. In Mykonos you can sit and have a drink or a snack at a restaurant on the water and watch the beautiful sunset. The white town, all lit up at night is beautiful to look at and walk. <BR> <BR>If you are looking for a private tour other than the ship in Istanbul and Kusasasi an associate of mine in the area will give to an air conditioned Mercedes Van with a tour that will take you where the buses do not go and treat you to a private lunch at a Turkish family outdoor restaurant. He can save you quite a bit of money. His name is Sezgin Demirci of Sardunya Travel. <BR>E-mail [email protected] <BR> <BR>Tell him I sent you. <BR> <BR>In Rhodes they is a real great driver that will do a private tour for you also although it will be about the same price of the ship tour. He will take you to Lindos and also take you to the beach if you wish. <BR>You will see much more than the bus tours. His name is Michael Karavassilis and his web site is: <BR>www.privatetours.gr. You will have a fun time with Michael guaranteed. <BR> <BR>In Santorini definitely take the ship's tour (Island Tour and Oia Village). You will have plenty of time to see everything and no cars can get through the villages. You will love this island. <BR> <BR>In Egypt do not attempt to hire a driver. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful cruise. <BR> <BR>Paul

sue Aug 22nd, 2001 04:23 AM

Debra and Paul. <BR> <BR>Think we'll do exactly as you suggested in Mykonos. <BR> <BR>Paul, <BR> <BR>Have already booked tours in Rhodes and Egypt. Wouldn't consider hiring a driver in Cairo. <BR> <BR>We're really excited about this trip which includes a week of land touring also. Thanks to both of you.

Chris Aug 22nd, 2001 04:42 AM

Hi Sue <BR> <BR>Hope you like the cruise, we just returned from the same one last Saturday! <BR> <BR>I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but one of the cruise people involved in the excursions told people that if they had signed up for this excursion they should get their money refunded. Won't say any more, it was a really great thing to say and I really don't want to get anyone in trouble (you never know....) <BR> <BR>Mykonos is really small, we did some shopping and then had a couple of drinks and enjoyed watching the lights come on as darkness fell. <BR> <BR>DO NOT WAIT for the last bus to take you to the boat (or the last tender -- we were lucky enough to avoid the tenders as we were able to get right up to the dock.) We were one of the first ones waiting for the shuttle bus between 9:30-10 and we almost didn't get on (my husband had to stand in the aisle -- I thought I lost him!) We really liked Mykonos -- very pretty. <BR> <BR>Enjoy the cruise -- we were exhausted, but enjoyed every minute. Do be very careful in Egypt -- the vendors around the pyramids and the sphinx are BRUTAL. We've never seen anything like it. If you walk away, they follow you. If you say "no", they shove it in your hands. Ask the tour guide to help you if you want to ride a camel. It's worth spending the extra on a tip for your guide rather than trying to negotiate your way down from the top of a camel. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage!