Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

MUST find a ship without all this advertising and announcements!

Feb 21st, 2003, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Like many will acknowledge, cruising has drastically changed in the past 20 years. We LOVE to cruise but the constant advertising that has taken over the ships during the past 20 years has gotten the best of us. Looking for a cruise ship without advertising/announcements...."buy this" "special at the gift shop" "2 for 1 drink special" "1/2 price at the boutique" HELP "Bingo in 5 minutes"....I CAN'T STAND THIS. THIS NEVER USED TO HAPPEN. Are there any ships WITHOUT all these stupid advertisments and constant announcements? I've heard that Radisson and Holland American are much better??? Fact or Fiction?? I don't care what I pay, as long as I'm left alone without these! Interested in a Mediterranean cruise during 2003. Thanks!
Feb 21st, 2003, 08:33 PM

Sounds like you're a good candidate for Seabourn, Radisson, maybe Silversea.

HollandAmerica is mild, compared to some of the others, but they DO like the sound of their voices better than the average passenger does.

Even Cunard does in-ship advertising, though the well-modulated British tones might be somewhat more acceptable -- for awhile, anyway.

In your position, I'd be looking at Silversea and one of their 8 cruises in the Med sometime between April and September. Luck to you .. and good sailing!
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:18 PM

Celebrity is known for their "no announcement policies" and they are nice ships to boot!
Feb 22nd, 2003, 05:14 AM

Sounds like you're a good candidate for Seabourn, Radisson, maybe Silversea.

HollandAmerica is mild, compared to some of the others, but they DO like the sound of their voices better than the average passenger does.

Even Cunard does in-ship advertising, though the well-modulated British tones might be somewhat more acceptable -- for awhile, anyway.

In your position, I'd be looking at Silversea and one of their 8 cruises in the Med sometime between April and September. Luck to you .. and good sailing!
Feb 22nd, 2003, 05:54 AM

Oooops! Don't know where my second response came from. The puter gremlins are at it again
Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:47 AM

I agree with Andy. Sailed Celebrity twice. Only one announcement a day at noon, and basically it's to let the passengers know the location of the ship and the weather forecast. There are printed ads for all the sale specials of the day and times and locations of the different activities for the day in the daily ship newspaper(they still have to make money), but, it sure beats listening to announcements in five languages every hour or so.
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:50 AM

Also, on Windstar ships, there is only one announcement per day, at noon, to give location of ship, average speed, etc. The one announcement lasts perhaps two minutes or so. On my cruise, I looked forward to hearing it, since it was informative, and had nothing to do with advertising.
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:16 AM

And don't forget about SeaDream, if you're into a smaller vessel! They don't even push their shore excursions in favor of the free ones conducted by crew members!
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Judia1 says: "And don't forget about SeaDream, if you're into a smaller vessel!"

I hadn't heard of them so I went to their website. Oh my! If price was no object, I'd book east * AND * west Meds in a Noo Yawk Minnit!
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:50 PM

Another smaller cruise line is Clipper - check them out at www.intrav.com They are small ships, less than 200 passengers, so no pool, no bingo, no horse races, etc. A pleasant small bar, all-American crew, and smaller unusual ports. Single seating meals, no assigned seating and pooled tips for the staff. Don't know if they do Med but they do Caribbean, Amazon, fall foliage tours, etc. They reposition about every 6-8 weeks.
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:10 PM

Tigerhawk-

Clipper does the Med- they were right next to us in Portofino when we were on the Windsurf....

Looked so neat with all those sails=

I think it goes under the name of Star Clipper....
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Correction: Clipper DOES have pools. In fact on the Royal Clipper there are two (2) pools. These are excellent ships.
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:43 AM
JP

Different lines. Clipper is the one that has the little motor ships that do coastal cruises; Star Clipper is the one with the sailing ships.
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:35 AM

If price is no object, go with Raddison.
Just returned from their "shakedown cruise" on the Voyager and it was fantastic. Very upscale atmosphere without being snobbish. Very interesting passengers. The staff and crew are absolutely the very best. Choice of 4 evening dining venues. I can't think of anything to complain about except the extra pounds I gained.
This was our 6th Raddison cruise and I am now spoiled. Going on the Mariner, So. Pacific in the fall for 24 days. Can hardly wait.
Try it, you'll like it.
Bon Voyage. Joanne