Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   MS Patriot? Hawaiian cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ms-patriot-hawaiian-cruise-107431/)

Sandy Feb 21st, 2001 11:03 AM

MS Patriot? Hawaiian cruise

Does anyone have any experience with the United States Cruise Lines' MS Patriot cruise <BR>of the Hawaiian Islands? Any info on this topic would be appreciated.

pearl Mar 20th, 2001 11:49 AM

Its best to double check current information on this cruise line. Their ships have been experiencing tecnhical difficulties lately. <BR> <BR>I wasn't at all please with my recent trip on the sister ship the Independence. <BR> <BR>I liked the itinery and the ship does have the feel of an old movie. I was not pleased with the service at all. If Holland America is the 4 Seasons, this is at best a Best Western and not a Hyatt or Mariott. Crew did not seem at all happy to be there and that spilled over into many of my contacts. <BR> <BR>I'd heard better things before I went and that is why I would search for additional current contacts regarding this line.

George Mar 20th, 2001 01:41 PM

The only reason they are still in business is the fact that they offer 7 nights around Hawaii, the ship, service, food and crew are not at all worth the costs, I was able to take this cruise as a travel agent and would never book clients on this ship, NCL will introduce a new ship that does a similar itinerary and would consider that

Susan Apr 4th, 2001 06:42 PM

Is the Patriot really a "sister ship" to the Independence? I thought it was much newer. Anyone have up to date information on her? Food, service, cabins, entertainment, etc?

Dawn Apr 6th, 2001 06:38 PM

MS Patriot was the Nieuw Amsterdam with the Holland America line, before being sold. I'm sorry to hear of the poor service, etc, as she was a delightful ship to sail on with HAL.

Paul Therault Apr 6th, 2001 09:47 PM

Technical difficulties are normal with old ships.<BR><BR>When American Hawaii bought the Patriot they spent 24 million to refurb but most of the money went for Coast Guard requirements. The ship does show it's age but it is elegant. HAL did not maintain it properly before the sale. More money needs to be spent.<BR><BR>With the new crew the first couple of months were pretty bad but now, according to my customers, the service and food is average. Along with the Independence.<BR><BR>I do not believe anyone will fare much better with NCL.<BR><BR>Paul

Gina May 8th, 2001 05:18 AM

A friend and I took a cruise on the Patriot in Feb. of this year. It was our first and only cruise ever taken. We are planning another cruise on the Patriot in July this year. We enjoyed the cruise and met a lot of nice people. The ship is weathered but we visited Kona, Hilo, Maui, Kauai It was beautiful. I can't wait to go back. If I can help answer any questions just e-mail me.

Kristy May 8th, 2001 11:22 AM

I haven't sailed on the Patriot, however I have sailed on the Independence. The Patriot and the Independence are not sister ships. The Patriot was recently purchased from another company and has had a Hawaiian "make-over." The Patriot is MUCH newer than the Independence and I've heard from several people that they really enjoyed themselves. <BR>I have friends that are working on the Independence right now. It may not be the most luxurious ship with the amenities of newer ships nowadays, however it is charming and has lots of character. The staff and crew on the ship are wonderful. You really feel a sense of "Hawaiiana" while you are sailing. The itinerary is wonderful and really, I think that's the main reason to go. It's the best way to see the islands. So, pick the Independence instead and my friends will put on a great show for you!!! ;) <BR>Kristy

Virginia Jul 6th, 2001 05:54 AM

Gina, What shore excursions did you take or recommend taking. We will be going March 02 and plan to see as much as possible. My TA says this lines shore exc. are excellent.Thank you.

curt Aug 10th, 2001 11:16 AM

Also interested in recommendations for excursions versus just renting a car on each island and free lancing. We will be sailing on the Independence Oct. 27 departure for 7 days. We plan to do our Maui things ahead of time (going in early). Any tips would be appreciated. We are looking forward to the cruise and are aware that this an older ship but in my research the reviews have been pretty much positive. We know that the cabins will be small and the ship only holds 800 or so, but we think that will be part of the charm. <BR> <BR>Again thanks in advance for any input on the good excursions and if they are worth the cost.