Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Mom and Daughters Search For NonRushed, Non-Mass Market Greek Cruise. Help!

Jul 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Would anyone out there have recommendations for: Mom over 75 and 2 adult daughters. Have about 10 to 12 days. Include greek islands cruise not more than 5 nites on the ship. Mix with Athens or other Mediterranean land exploring. Don't want to rush through the ports, but focus and absorb some. More upscale and unique, not mass-market cruise or big groups. Never been to Greece. Thinking about checking out Turkey and a turkish bath experience if that doesn't stretch the schedule too much! Thanks!
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM

You need a Travel agent to weed out the ones that fit your requirements. Sounds like a private yacht would give you more options.
Jul 21st, 2008, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Were you being serious, or sarcastic, about the private yacht part?
Jul 21st, 2008, 04:32 AM

Nono1; I think she was being serious re your query.
The mass market ships do NOT do
what you envision...esp. not rush thru ports..AND, in Greece
it is sometimes 2 ports a day.
In Turkey you might want to travel by gullet which provides a more in-depth experience.

Go to a travel agent for guidance
and you also might want to take
a look at some cruise sites; among them is www.cruisecritic.com which
has a plethora of info & lists all
the major companies that offer cruises.
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:15 AM

Thanks, Rhea, I was being serious. I have been on many cruises and cruiselines. None of the mass market ships offer all that you require.

It seems like you have never been on a cruise, I would try some to see what they do offer.

A private yacht was the only thing I could think of to fit such requirements.

Good luck and tell us what you find.
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM

We've taken two Med cruises on Oceania and loved them. The ships hold under 700 passengers, dining is open seating, and the staff are wonderful.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM

I think WIndstar Cruises might have a Greek Cruise. I also think Radisson has one too. Both are very nice with the Radisson being more traditional but small. Another you might want to check out is Seadream Yacht Club which is very small - almost like a yacht - very upscale.

I think it will be very difficult to fine a 5 day cruise but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:15 AM

Tango,
Radisson changed their name to Regent awhile ago. No more Radisson cruise line.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM

As I see it, the problem the OP is going to have is finding a cruise that is only 5 nights on the ship. All the good lines with which I'm familiar have at least 7 days on the ship. I think there are some regional lines that have shorter Greek island cruises, but I don't think they would fit the bill.
Jul 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone, for your help. some friends have told me that regents seven seas would be a good choice. they have cruised a number of times with them. i have taken your advice and contacted a travel agent and asked a quote from regents.
Jul 27th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

...and, I have discovered through researching it a bit more that less than 7 days is impractical.
Jul 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM

There are some Greek and Cypriot lines that do shorter cruises in the Greek Islands, and you can also do EasyCruise, which lets you embark and disembark at will (and it goes to many of the smaller islands that few cruise lines visit). But these cruises will not give you the kind of luxury experience you probably want ... at least for the sailing part. More upscale cruises are typically longer.

But a simpler way to see Greece might be to take a series of simple ferry hops to islands you want to see. You'll find that the schedules and routes are not too conducive to true island-hopping, but it is possible in some cases, and the trips between islands are rarely more than a couple of hours if you are going nearby. Then you can stay in nice hotels on each island and eat well (I love Greek food).

Most of the upscale Greek Islands cruises (such as those on Regent) are at least a week and sometimes ten days, but this will be more of the kind of experience you are looking for. I'd heartly endorse Oceania, though, which someone else mentioned.