Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   mini-suites (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/mini-suites-74571/)

Charles Jun 2nd, 2000 06:25 PM

mini-suites

We have a mini-suite booked on the Zaandam - which is the same as the Volendam I believe. Could someone who has had such a suite let me know the amenities in the suite. I would be appreciative.

April Jun 4th, 2000 10:34 AM

Is it the same as a Maasdam minisuite?

Charles Jun 4th, 2000 04:24 PM

I believe so. The same picture is used to illustrate both suites. Same size. Have you been on the Maasdam? What do they provide? I had heard everythhing from personalized sationery to robes.

April Jun 4th, 2000 07:30 PM

On the Maasdam I don't recall any robes (can't be 100% sure of this as I wouldn't use one anyway - they're usually too big for me) and certainly not personalized stationery. The room was very nice however. There was a closet with a safe, a small sitting area with a table (with fruit basket) and chairs, a sofa, desk and TV. The balcony with furniture was fairly private. A chocolate was left on each pillow every night. <BR> <BR>There was a whirlpool bath (Jacuzzi - same thing?), with a retractable clothes line, and I believe a hair dryer. <BR> <BR>On the same deck, by the way, was a coin operated (US coin) laundry room with iron and ironing board. The soap comes down a tube so you don't need to use your own.

karen Jun 5th, 2000 10:16 AM

We sailed on the Ryndam (sister to Maasdam) in a mini-suite in January. There were bathrobes and personalized stationery (the latter a fun touch, but hardly necessary, and perhaps a function of our "alumni" status). There was, indeed, a hair dryer, and everything else listed in April's post above. Oh - and a minibar/refrigerator. The Zaandam and Volendam ARE the same; they are bigger than the Ryndam and her sisters but I believe that the configuration of mini-suites is similar. Have a great time!

Charles Jun 6th, 2000 07:10 AM

Thanks for the information. We certainly hope that it will be a wonderful trip.

Tommi Jun 7th, 2000 07:41 AM

Now, I'm really confused because of hearing conflicting reports. I understood that the HAL Maasdam did provide bathrobes in the mini-suites but today I was told by a HAL rep. that they do not...Which is it? I've found that when you call the 800 number to ask a question and talk to 3 different people, you'll hear 3 different answers. I trust passengers who have recently sailed much more than the reps.

marta Jun 7th, 2000 11:09 AM

I've been researching the Maasdam and it looks like the suites have the amenities you're talking about. The mini-suites do not. I made note of that since I was thinking of a suite or mini-suite. Hope this helps.

Marta-again Jun 8th, 2000 03:57 AM

OOPS!! I checked the brochure again and the mini-suites are listed as having robes and stationery. I think it was a friend who told me she had no robes in her mini-suite but I can't remember which ship it was on.