Search

MIAMI HOTEL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 09:07 AM
SHARKGB

MIAMI HOTEL

Hi Everyone, Has anyone stayed at the Summerfield Suites in MIA? We requested a suite type hotel in the area as we are travelling with two children and this setup works the best for us. Does anyone know how far to the port it is from the hotel? Any other suggestions of a hotel would be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Paul Therault

The Summerfield Suites is a Wyndam hotel in the airport area. You are about 20 - 25 minutes from the port by cab. If it works for you, fine, but there are many hotels in the South Beach area that are on the beach. The area is very interesting and exciting (the real Miami). There are also many hotels near the port on Biscayne Bay where Bayside Marina is located. You can spent a day at the Marina and find plenty to do and plenty to eat and plenty of shopping and plenty of entertainment.<BR><BR>I may be out of line saying this ... but why go to Miami and stay in an airport hotel? You could do this in Denver or Chicago, but why Miami?<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Hiho

I would agree that staying near the airport is sort of a waste. I would strongly suggest South Beach, as the beach itself is very nice and the neighborhood has something for everyone. Even though South Beach is not geared specifically for children, I think they can enjoy themselves very much.<BR><BR>I think the Bayside Market area is nice, but for my taste, it is akin to the airport area in the sense that it could be anywhere - any sort of "festival marketplace" mall, with the same stores. South Beach will be something differnet.<BR><BR>In reading a couple of cruise bulletin boards, I am surprized at how much the Bayside areas getes touted up. Not that its not pleasant, but it is just a spiffed up mall. I guess that is waht many people want - the tried and true.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:42 AM
nancy

Is the Bayside Marketplace an indoor or outdoor mall? Is it right on the waterfront?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Cathy

Bayside is an open air, multi-story mall. Many of the shops are closed in but the huge passageways are often breeze ways.<BR><BR>I agree with Paul... a great way of starting a cruise and getting into the Caribbean spirit is staying in South Beach Miami the day before. I love waking up early on Sunday morning, walking on Miami beach and watching different types of ships come in and out of the port of Miami in the distance. Plus the airport area is NOT the safest place to be at night since the area is very close to some high crime areas.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Paul Therault

I believe Bayside is extrmely unique. It has not only upscale stores but discount also. There is also many touristy tents and stands when souveniers and do-dads are sold. Not only does it have a huge food court with many reasonable ethnic dishes but also many waterside restaurants where you can sit and eat outside. There is outside live entertainment where you can dance if you prefer. You can take a bay cruise. You can take a gambling boat. There is a Hard Rock Cafe. There are small attractions for children and small cheap trinkets and toys you can buy for them. There are many police that patrol the grounds on bicycles. It has a taxi station.<BR><BR>Bottom line .... it is really not a mall it is a Marina.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Hiho

Paul - Again, I'm not saying that Bayside is not nice or pleaseant, but to say its "extremely unique"???, you must be coming from the deep interior of the Yukon Territory.<BR><BR>Just off the top of my head, we have the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Waterside Marketplace in Norfolk, Mashpee Commons in Cape Cod, Third Street Market in Santa Monica, South Street Seaport in New York, and Traditions - A Fesival Marketplace in Albuquerque. Granted, the last one does not feature water, but they all have a mix of shops, entertainment, restaurants, kiosks to buy "small cheap trinkets" and (most of them) a marina.<BR><BR>I think cruise vacations are "canned" vacations, as is Bayside market. This is not necessarily bad, but they are the type of experiences where things are all neat and tidy...wrapped up in a package (probably with a bow). Although South Beach is certainly a major tourist destination, it is more of a "real" place, not so canned, so I think that for a day or so, it makes a nice contrast to the cruise experience.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:01 AM
SHARAKGB

Thanks for all the great advise. We haven;t been to MIA for a while and had no idea that the area near the airport wasn't the best. We will arrive after 6:00 pm and would like to go for a short walk after we get there. Will move to a hotel in So Beach. Thanks for the info.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Paul Therault

All I attempted to do is explain what there is to do at the Bayside Marina. I say it is extremely unique. You do not have to agree with me.<BR><BR>So South Beach is "real" and not canned. Should we say Art Deco in the same sentence?<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:09 AM
Hiho

Paul - You can say Bayside is unique, and you can also be WRONG. Actually, the concentration of art deco architecture is South Beach is unique, and probably not found in Mr. and Mrs. cruiser's hometown. <BR><BR>However, by more "real" I was not so much refering to the architecture as to the greater variety of people in south beach and the greater chance that (god forbid for the cruisers) there might be something interesting going on or worth seeing that wasn't prepackaged and all planned out as on the cuise itself or in Bayside (and on the left we have the jewelry kiosk). <BR><BR>Plus, while in Miami they might get a little culture..perhaps stop in the Bass, Ziff or Wolfsonian museums, all very worthwhile.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Candace

You may want to try priceline I just received the 3* Holiday Inn in South Beach for $45 it's on collins ave and also the beach. I think I may have been able to win for $40 you could always bid for two rooms and ask for adjoining rooms. If you don't want to bid then you may find a good deal at www.hotelkingdom.com