Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   MIA to dock (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/mia-to-dock-1037825/)

jacketwatch Feb 16th, 2015 05:42 AM

MIA to dock

We have a flight scheduled to MIA arriving 2230 the night before our cruise on the Getaway. So how far is the dock from MIA vs. say south beach to the dock? I am inclined to stay over night at an airport hotel but if the dock is close to south beach we will consider staying there.
Thank you. :).

Jeff801 Feb 17th, 2015 04:16 AM

The airport hotels are, IMHO, dreary. But,we have twice stayed at the Intercontinental Miami. It is very near to the cruise pier and offered a free shuttle to each ship (there can be several) that was embarking passengers.

jacketwatch Feb 17th, 2015 05:30 AM

How far is that from MIA?

jacketwatch Feb 17th, 2015 05:35 AM

Update. I just called them and they say no shuttles at all.

Sassafrass Feb 17th, 2015 08:10 AM

It is 15 min (no traffic) to 30min (with lots of traffic) from S Beach to POM. Since you are getting in so late, landing at 10:30, and even later getting to the hotel, unless you planned to walk on the beach the next morning before going to the port, your plan to stay at an airport hotel works fine. One near the port, so you can grab a taxi works great also.

tch912 Feb 17th, 2015 09:49 AM

Most airport hotels have agreements with shuttle companies. I stayed at the Element Hotel near the airport. I agree the area is a little dreary but if you are getting in that late you just need a place to sleep. They offered a shuttle $12 per person to the Miami cruise port. I got to the hotel a lot earlier around 4 PM. I used the hotel shuttle to go back to the airport and took the South Beach flyer bus $2.35 and had dinner. I took the bus back and called for the shuttle.

Eschew Feb 18th, 2015 11:04 PM

They are all expensive at $200+ per night, even for the lowly Comfort Inn. You might as well pay a bit extra and stay at the Doubletree or Marriott!

jacketwatch Feb 18th, 2015 11:44 PM

Update. So we decided to stay near the airport nd got the Hyatt for total $179.00 and that included a shuttle from the airport and breakfast each so with those perks that's about $50.00 I would say so not bad.
Thanks for the replies and help.
:).

NoFlyZone Feb 19th, 2015 04:31 AM

Getting in so late, I would recommend staying right at the airport. The Hotel MIA is in the middle of the terminals and outside security. Not great but not bad. Then after a leisurely breakfast the next morning, head down to baggage claim, meet the cruise line rep and take their transportation to the ship.

Avoids tons of hassle.

NoFlyZone Feb 19th, 2015 04:35 AM

Continuing... formally it's the Miami International Airport Hotel ( www.miahotel.com ) and rooms start around $189 with breakfast.

Eschew Feb 19th, 2015 11:22 PM

Larry, that's a good deal. I have to remember that.

jacketwatch Feb 24th, 2015 07:26 PM

BTW that price we got was for deferred payment for who we arrive. It's about $20.00 less if you choose to,pay up,front.,