Our family (kids are 15 and 12) are considering a Mexican Riviera cruise for Spring Break '07. But which cruise for us?
We are in our mid to late 40's and have been on Carnival (Europe, Caribbean) and Royal Caribbean (Caribbean). Of the 2 lines, we are more the Royal Caribbean "type".
We strongly prefer to sail out of San Diego, since we live in San Diego county. Here are the 3 cruises that leave out of San Diego that week:
1. Celebrity Mercury (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas)
2. Holland America Oosterdam (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas)
3. Carnival Spirit (Mazatlan, La Paz, Cabo San Lucas)
Here are the pros and cons:
* Pros - best price of the 3, we'd probably LOVE Celebrity's service and food, we enjoy smaller ships.
* Cons - older ship, will be refurbished the week AFTER we would return, not sure if there will be enough kids for our kids to make friends with (even during Spring Break).
2. Holland America:
* Pros - nice, newer ship.
* Cons - not sure if there will be enough kids for our kids to make friends with (even during Spring Break), Is the crowd a tad older than we'd prefer? May be more sedate than we'd prefer.
* Pros - this itinerary includes La Paz, which I've read is the best scuba dive port of all the ports listed above (DH and DD would dive and DS and I would snorkel), here there would be enough kids for my kids to make friends with.
* Cons - would prefer another line to Carnival; will this be too much of a party crowd? We like to have fun but aren't big drinkers, etc. Maybe too many kids (would like a decent amount, but don't want to be overrun with kids either!)?
I also posted on Cruise Critic.. but am interested in what the fodorites recommend, as well.
Sooooooo.... which cruise for us?
Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 National Geographic Quest
- 2 Almost serious
- 3 Best Place to Purchase Cruises
- 4 Azamara Journey New Zealand Tours Available
- 5 Considering a first-time Caribbean cruise..
- 6 Mississippi River Cruise
- 7 Time to Explore St Petersburg
- 8 Transfer from Fiumicino to Civitavecchia
- 9 Would you live on a cruise ship year round?
- 10 roommate wanted
- 11 Just back from an NCL East Med & Greek isles Cruise! Any ?
- 12 Mediterranean cruise- first week of May?
- 13 Danube River Cruise - agent
- 14 Multi generation Alaska cruise
- 15 Seeking Cozumel Advice
- 16 Costa Maya beach
- 17 UNIWORLD River Boat Cruise on the Danube, Budapest to Prague
- 18 Scenic cruise advice
- 19 Small Ship Alaska
- 20 Antarctica Quark Expedition Travel Report
- 21 Seabourn Alaska Cruise
- 22 Viking consumer beware
- 23 Need help European Cruise -viking Ocean Cruise Barcelona to Rome
- 24 Pre-cruise hotel
- 25 Amadeus river cruise