Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Meeting up with family who is on a Med Cruse -- because I get sea sick : ( (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/meeting-up-with-family-who-is-on-a-med-cruse-because-i-get-sea-sick-951135/)

kit Sep 20th, 2012 10:50 AM

Meeting up with family who is on a Med Cruse -- because I get sea sick : (

Hello,

My mom and her husband are taking a Mediterranean cruise next summer to celebrate their anniversary and are hopeful some family members want to join them. I have a long history with motion sickness and have told them that instead, I'd rather meet up with them somewhere along the way. They will likely extend their trip either on the front end or back, so I figure that is a safer option for me. Also, if possible, I am thinking I might be able to meet them at one of the ports along the way as well.

They have not picked the ship yet, which is the first step obviously. I will plan my itinerary around them

Has anyone ever done a trip like this? As much as I would like to join them, I just see myself being sick and miserable too much of the time. Do you think it would be better to meet up with them on the front end or the back? This seems like a good plan to me, but my family is not very familiar with cruising. We love Italy, so I suspect that will be the destination we would settle on for the "together" part.

Appreciate any advice regarding pitfalls of the plan I have overlooked. I realize this is not much of a plan yet until they pick the ship and itin. Thank you!

Sassafrass Sep 20th, 2012 01:48 PM

There seem to be so many things that can prevent motion sickness, can I assume you've have tried them? Asking only because it is a shame to miss out on the fun of a cruise if you can do something about it.

I think I would meet up with them at the end of the cruise. It wouldn't matter much where it ended in Italy, it would be wonderful to have a week or so together there. No pitfalls that I can see. I wouldn't try to meet up just for a day at another port - not worth it, IMHO.

Dayenu Sep 20th, 2012 02:03 PM

Kit, you never know how you feel on the ship unless you try. I am kicking myself for not believing I can cruise and haven't started earlier.

I get sick just by looking at the boats :)

Try a cruise out of Venice to Greek islands, we did it last May, the sea was flat. Also pick a cruise that has less sea days, more port stops.

The trick is in choosing a cabin. Don't go for a guarantee - pick a cabin with a window (!) in the lower middle part of the ship.

Can you take ginger? I think the only warning is if you are taking blood thinners. Start 2 days before the cruise, every day on the cruise, and continue 2 days after the cruise.

As a back-up try Bonine, if it makes you sleepy, take it at bedtime.

If you want to e-mail me, the address is in my profile.

---------------------------------------------------------

If you still prefer to meet on land... we prefer to stay somewhere pre-cruise, explore the area while we are not tired. Don't think it makes much difference pre- or post-cruise, it's personal preference.

kit Sep 20th, 2012 02:24 PM

Thank you for your replies, Sassafrass and Dayenu. I should have been more specific. I have indeed cruised, just not much and not very happily. I have tried all the usual, doctor and internet recommended Rx's and elixirs. I used to be a private pilot and aviation journalist and even wrote a story about motion sickness trying to illuminate some fix that might work for me. (It's fascinating science -- all related to our P6 medial nerves and peristaltic activity.) I got close with the Relief Band, but not close enough. I, too, get sick just looking at boats (but never in airplanes.) I will endure a ferry or something that is purely transportation if it is quick and no one expects me to not vomit.

I say all that as background to show why I am not willing to spend a chunk of time and money on something that ultimately I think has a good chance of being a disaster for me. I will say: I always have dreams of cruising; I WANT to do it. But then I come back to reality and realize that I just can't do it.

So that's interesting to hear, Dayenu. You generally feel tired after the cruise? And I was thinking that if there was a port that they were going to spend an overnight at, that I could find them there, too. I'm a good solo traveler and can be pretty mobile once I get over there. I am thinking broadly about Croatia and then wherever in Italy suits everyone's wishlist best.

Appreciate your thoughts! Thank you!

Dayenu Sep 20th, 2012 02:51 PM

Am I tired after a cruise? YOU BET I AM :D It's not a vacation if you don't get tired ;)

If I was to coordinate a meeting with somebody, I'd do it only pre- or post-cruise.

Once I had to cancel as our ship was late to the port in Canada - it's good I had that Fodorite's cell phone to cancel our GTG!

If I am with somebody in a car, I worry if I'd have enough time to get back, what if there is a traffic accident, and the road is blocked? I don't want the ship to leave without me.

Seldom, but may happen the ship will skip a port due to weather or political unrest.

Can you time your trips to fly all of you to or from the first/last port?

Luv2travel15 Sep 21st, 2012 06:36 AM

Has your mother considered a river cruise as an alternative to an ocean cruise? This may be a viable option so that u could join them on the cruise. River cruises do not go out in the ocean but generally along the canals of the various countries. We did our first river cruise a couple of years ago as we were tired of ocean cruising and absolutely loved the experience. So much more intimate, etc. There are some fabulous itineries out there, Prague, Budapest, etc. U could also do a b4 or after land tour on your own w/ family.

I would suggest doing a post cruise trip if u can't join them on the ocean cruise. That way, your mother can decompress from the cruise and enjoy your company. Good luck w/ whatever u decide.

Do check out the river cruise or even small ship options for your mother. You will be surprised at the options available and may just find something suitable for everyone!

kit Sep 21st, 2012 03:09 PM

Well, my mother has NOT considered a river cruise, though I have : ) I am just taking it on faith that I would not get sea sick on a river cruise, though I have no idea if this is what they're after or not. They seem pretty jazzed about the Med cruise. BUT, I have ordered CDs and beautiful river boat tour brochures for them and will present the idea to them on Sunday. It is their anniversary trip, so I won't push...but it could work!

The other/first plan is good (enough) too. And yes, Dayenu, we all live in the same city so could time the trip easily for departure. We usually have different airlines/flights because my miles are not where theirs are, but that's no big thing.

Luv2travel15 Sep 22nd, 2012 04:24 PM

Hi kit, well good for you ordering all those brochures! The brochures are so nicely done now and so attractive that u will want to book a cruise! I don't want to tell u that u won't get sick but u don't feel the motion on the rivers, at least that was our experience. Perhaps others can tell u whether they felt any motion on their river cruise.

Germany is a beautiful country and the scenery along the rivers is so spectacular that I don't think anyone would not like a river cruise. We have Prague, Budapest, Switzerland on our wish list for our next cruise. The Med is very nice also.

If your mother shows any interest in river cruising, I suggest that you check out the Cruise Critic river cruise boards as their is a wealth of great info on the boards. This is where I went to plan our first river cruise. You will also see that once people have done a river cruise, they are very happy they did.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

May

Eschew Sep 22nd, 2012 09:59 PM

When is the last time you cruised? And how big were the ships? Where did you cruise and when? The answers to thsoe questions may offer reasons why you have motion sickness. With the big ship nowadays, you can hardly feel the movement. And depending on the destination, it may make a difference.

East Med cruise typically is very smooth sailing as compared to West Med cruise. We were on an East Med cruise on a smaller ship and we did not feel any movement.

Also, have you try raw ginger as a motion sickness cure?

Back to your original question, best way to determine when to join your Mom and her DH would depend on the itenary.

Example: Med cruise with second last port in Naples and ends in Civitavecchia (Rome), you can easily joined them at Naples for the day, and meet up with them in Rome post cruise, the next day.

jacketwatch Sep 23rd, 2012 05:40 AM

We have done several post cruise disembarkation stays and prefer this way especially if you are traveling a long way with jet lag to consider. Post cruise you have adjusted to that and we have felt fresh.

If the itin is Italy you can see what you like on land for yourself then meet them at the disembarkation port.

It seems to me you and cruising won't mix and I agree that spending a good hunk of $ on a Med cruise is not worth the risk. Unfortunately some people just cant handle the waves no matter how calm. Good thing they invented airplanes. :D