Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   meditterean cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/meditterean-cruise-157681/)

anna Feb 9th, 2002 06:59 AM

meditterean cruise

Message: we've been advised by our agent to fly into barcelona (from canada) a day earlier..does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay in barcelona?<BR><BR>we've been told by celebrity cruise line that the airport is about 30min to the dock.<BR><BR>does anyone know how long it takes to get off the ship once it docks back in barcelona?...are ships ever late in their scheduled time of docking?..this is for celebrity cruise lines(ours is suppose to arrive at 8:30am as per brochure)...we're concerned how much of a lag period we should book our return flight at home at?<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Paul Therault Feb 9th, 2002 11:07 PM

<BR>Hi Anna,<BR><BR>Although there are many great sights all over Barcelona I believe you should stay at the upper end of Las Ramblas (pedestrian street). There are many hotels in this area and Ramblas is a nice place to walk and browse although not as elegant as say Vienna.<BR><BR>You should get yourself a travel agent who could help you.<BR><BR>Although cruise lines announce scheduled docking times they never know when a ship may be delayed. Best to book a flight home after noontime. Due to the time difference you will not get home late.<BR><BR>Paul

anna Feb 10th, 2002 05:16 PM

Thank you . Is the La Ramblas street where the tourist area is?

Paul Therault Feb 10th, 2002 09:40 PM

<BR>Hi Anna,<BR><BR>Ramblas has a mix of tourists and locals. The major sights all have tourists. There is no designated "tourist" area. It is an extremely large metropolitan city therefore you will not find "small villages" with cobblestone streets.<BR><BR>Take a half-day sightseeing tour. You will see some extraordinary architecture.<BR><BR>Paul

Rick Feb 11th, 2002 06:41 AM

Anna,<BR><BR>I did the exact same thing last summer. I found a reasonably priced clean hotel in the Las Ramblas area. I will try to e-mail you the name of the hotel if I can find it. As far as the distance to the dock, 30 minutes is a maximum length of time from that area.<BR><BR>Regarding your departure, book your flight for the same day as the ship docks. Celebrity will definitely get you off the ship quickly if they need to.

Kris Feb 12th, 2002 05:58 AM

Try to schedule a couple of days in Barcelona, it would be a shame to go in and out of Barcelona and not actually see any of it.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Gravina which is nicely located just a bit north of Las Ramblas. Any hotel up in that area should be fine.

Andy Feb 14th, 2002 12:19 PM

Anna- Go onto the FODORS EUROPE SITE and post the question for the hotel in Barcelona--<BR><BR>THERE are some VERY well travelled people who post there and can reccommend a good hotel<BR><BR><BR>Be aware in Las Ramblas area that there are tons of pickpockets now in Barcelona and that the police do nothing to help---<BR><BR>I found out all this when I posted looking for a hotel in Barcelona-same as you- for post cruise.<BR><BR>I did find a nice Hilton-out of the Las Ramblas area--as in way out of the area ,so you'd need a cab to get to it...<BR><BR>I know there is a historic hotel in a terrific area that everyone reccommends you book a balcony room overlooking the Cathedral--but I can't remember the name. SO post on FODORS EUROPE section and I know someone will answer you.

Andy Feb 14th, 2002 12:33 PM

Anna- I forgot to tell you about RETURN air-- You need to ALLOW 3 hrs check-in for security for your return flight-<BR><BR>SO, do NOT book a flight that leaves in the am as you will not make it...Cruise lines let you off after cutsoms are cleared...You will probably get off by 930am at the latest...so your return flight ( if you do not stay in Barcelona on your return) should be after 12noon.

anna Feb 16th, 2002 09:19 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will post a message on the fodor's europe site as suggested. Have anyone done the Celebrity 7-day meditterean cruise? Did you find that the tours at ports necessary..or can we do sightseeing on our own?

Andy Feb 17th, 2002 09:54 AM

Depending on the ports, in most cases you can do sightseeing on your own for less money.....just do your research before hand---<BR><BR>In the case of going into FLORENCE, USE the cruise ship's bus as it is a long ride to FLorence and you need to make sure you are back at the port before the ship leaves................