Notices

Mediterraneon for Dummies Part 2

Apr 11th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Mediterraneon for Dummies Part 2

I am in the same boat as Med. for Dummies Part 1. Please tell me what small ships you recommend for this cruise. Thank you. This would be our first trip abroad and we thought a cruise would work well for us as we have cruised many times in the Caribbean. Thank you
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:47 AM

If I were doing my very first trip to Europe, I would not take a cruise. I'd take a land tour. The best places in Europe aren't necessarily sea ports (Rome, for instance). And even though you might think you're getting a wider variety of experiences, I think the opposite.

You could take a nice organized tour of Greece and see far more than you would on a cruise, where you spend only a few hours on land. Most trips to Greece involve travel to one or more islands, and this is easily done by plane or ferry.

If you wanted to see Italy, you could see far more of it on land than on a cruise.

A cruise works best in my opinion if you are visiting Scandinavia, which is really expensive. Then you get to eat and sleep on the ship and spend a few hours in a variety of ports. But most European capitals are so chock full of fascinating sights and museums that I would not want to limit myself to 4 or 5 hours in a place like Rome or Paris. Plus, the cost of all those shore excursions really does add up unless you're taking a luxury cruise that includes excursions.

Another good option for first-timers might be a river cruise. You tend to go to smaller cities and the trip itself is more leisurely and pleasant than a large cruise ship. But it can be more expensive depending on the company. But you're probably not going to be visiting all the major European capitals that way either.
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Doug, thanks, you make a lot of sense. We are going to re-evaluate our trip. You are not the first to tell us this. We thought of a river cruise as well, but it is very expensive. Thanks again.
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM

I agree with Doug. Having traveled quite a bit to Europe on both land and sea, I prefer land. Especially if this is your first time. However, that being said....my husband is not a Europe lover so the only way I can usually get him there is if we do a cruise. In 2009, we did the Celebrity Solstice from Venice to Barcelona for 12 nights and found it had a nice itinerary, especially for Europe beginners. It's ports of call were Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Santorini, Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes, and Barcelona. You will get quite a sampling of cities on this cruise and see the hightlights of the area. I figured it got me to the most places for the least amount of money and hubby was happy that he never had to pack and unpack. This cruise was very port intensive so while there was great nightly entertainment, there was not a lot of it during the day. Also, people tended to end their nights early since most everyone had tours the next day. It is not for everyone, but I thought it was a great compromise for my husband and me. Hope that helps a bit.

Search this Thread