Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Mediterranean - Seasickness? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/mediterranean-seasickness-713286/)

Becca Jun 14th, 2007 06:52 PM

Mediterranean - Seasickness?

I am prone to seasickness, but with the patch or Dramamine have done okay with 7 night Caribbean cruises in the past. I am looking into a 12 night Mediterranean cruise for next May (Celebrity - starting in Barcelona and ending in Venice). This seems an awfully long time to be on a cruise, but am I correct to think that since the boat seems to stay fairly close to shoreline and stops nearly every day at a different port that I would be okay? Or am I just fooling myself here? Thanks!

carylspall Jun 15th, 2007 02:41 AM

I reckon you will be just fine on this cruise.
I am also prone to seasickness,but 12 nights would not be a long enough cruise as far as I'm concerned!
Enjoy!

kfusto Jun 15th, 2007 04:11 AM

What month are you travelling?

I have cruised the Med 6 times and sometimes it is smooth, other times not. It is no different from the Caribbean in that respect.

If you are prone to seasickness, I would take precautions.

Becca Jun 15th, 2007 11:15 AM

We would be traveling in the summer months - May, June, July or August - not sure which yet. What do you think?

kfusto Jun 15th, 2007 01:04 PM

I have cruised in May, June, July (too hot and crowded and never again) and September. Again, there is no way to fairly answer your question as the weather cannot be predicted.

You should prepare for rough weather just in case. To offer false reassurance would be a disservice.

For crowds and fewer kids, I would go in May or late September.

desertduds Jun 15th, 2007 05:25 PM

We cruised the Mediterranean May 16th-30th this year and the only place it was even slightly rocky was Mallorca-Tunisia and even then, it wasn't that bad at all.

Bloom Jun 16th, 2007 06:26 PM

Consider going the acupuncture route- it cured me of any seasickness I'd experienced on cruises.

Bloom

kelkel Jun 26th, 2007 05:02 PM

Advice from a Registered Nurse....you cannot consume any alcohol when you wear a patch for seasickness.

ParrotMom Jun 27th, 2007 11:45 AM

Go to your local health food store and buy ginger tablets and take them the moment you step foot on the ship...and one at every meal.. It's similiar to when you a chlld and your mother gives you flat gingerale.. The other thing I take along for an upset stomach is mint tea. The patches I was told by an MD not to take as there were many side effects such as blurred vision.. Some people cut them in half.. ginger tablets seems to work as well.

kelkel Jun 27th, 2007 02:11 PM

WOW...ginger tablets! That is a great idea. Honestly, I never knew that they existed! Thanks...I am one of those that also have to take medication on board.

Debi Jun 28th, 2007 06:50 AM

I have a serious seasickness problem, and when we did a Med cruise, I used the patch. Since you're prone to it - and you know how awful it is - do whatever will work, and plan for it in advance. I never assume the water will be calm - because storms can always happen.... LOVED the Med cruise, by the way, absolutely wonderful (it was Crystal - and it was in early May - GREAT time to go to the Med - all the flowers out, not alot of children, and Venice wasn't as bad as it can be in the summer...)