Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Mediterranean Ports of Call? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/mediterranean-ports-of-call-411942/)

katorric Mar 17th, 2004 04:12 AM

Mediterranean Ports of Call?

Hi Everyone - I will be sailing on the Sovereign of the Sea in June and need suggestions from this expert group on the "one" thing we should do in these fabulous cities! Marseille, Nice, Florence/Pisa,Rome,Naples. I've never been to any of these cities and face facts, you only get a brief snapshot. Thanks

katorric Mar 17th, 2004 04:14 AM

Correction: It is the Splendour of the Seas.

PumpkinEater Mar 17th, 2004 05:58 AM

Nice - take the train into Monte Carlo.
Florence - Ponte Veechio bridge.
Rome - lunch in the Piaza Navona
Naples - hydrofoil over to Capri.

Peter

rayoflight104 Apr 21st, 2004 06:15 PM

Well, I took this exact trip last year... South of France, Pisa, Rome, Napless, Malta.

There's tons to do and if you can search old posts there are tons of itineraries and notes on what to do.. You can email me if you have any questions

[email protected]

HappyTraveling Jun 3rd, 2004 12:02 PM

The mediterranean cruise we are interested in docks at the below ports. I hear that it is expensive and not worthwhile to take the ship's land tour. So we wandered if it would be possible to do it independently to the places mentioned below:

1. Civitavecchia(Italy)- is it possible to see Colosseum, Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona all in 1 day?

2. Livorna(Italy)- is it possible to visit Pisa?

3. Monaco- is it possible to visit Nice?

4. Barcelona(Spain)-is it possible to visit La Rambla and the cathedral in 1 day?

5. Palma(Spain)

Please kindly include how far and which mode of transportation in your answer.

Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

Gardyloo Jun 3rd, 2004 12:41 PM

Happy -

1. Are you boarding at Rome or just making a port call? The answer is technically yes, but zoom zoom. Civitiavecchia is a long way from central Rome.

2. Yes, but you may need a taxi to get from the dock to the train station. Taxi for more than 2 might be more cost-effective; it's not very far.

3. Yes, and preferable IMO. Again, taxi or train.

4. By "cathedral" I assume you mean Sagrada Familia and not the big cathedral. Either way, sure.

5. Walk to the cruise terminal exit and take the city bus - $euro;1.30 I think - ten minutes from the central part of the old town.

Gardyloo Jun 3rd, 2004 12:42 PM

That should be €1.30 - %$#@ keyboard!

jacketwatch Jun 4th, 2004 02:52 PM

We did that cruise 2 yrs. ago. First of all I suggest NOT taking the excursions offered by the ship. There will plenty of private tour operators when you disembark. It will be cheaper and you do not have to wait fora busful of people. We easily saw Pisa and Florence from Livorno. In Rome don't miss the Sistene Chapel, Colleseum and St. Peters. And remember, no shorts allowed to enter St. Peters. You will also have time for the Trevi fountain as well. In Naples we opted to see Pompei as I am a history buff. Herculaneum is also available to see. Some opted instead for the Amalfi coast. Do a little research to find the highlights of these ports and do the deal when you get off. Or simply look at the excursions offered by the ship and do the same on your own. Bon voyage!