Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity Century...info please (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/mediterranean-cruise-on-celebrity-century-info-please-524163/)

gingersnap Apr 25th, 2005 04:19 PM

Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity Century...info please

Has anyone out there been on the Mediterranean Cruise on Celebrity's Century? We are planning a cruise for Sept. 12 - 23....leaving from Barcelona. What was your favorite port and what are the best excursions at the ports? How will the weather be in Sept? Also, my husband get seasick easily and we were told that the Med. sea is not as rough as say the Atlantic, Pacific....any info would be appreciated.....how did you like the ship and were you on schedule for disembarkation? Thanks

kizzo Apr 28th, 2005 03:56 AM

Get info on cruisecritic.com. You can also join a roll call for your cruise and get a lot of info that way. Also many other cruise review/ratings sites do a google search. Kathy

andy May 2nd, 2005 10:36 AM

The MED is wonderful during the time you are going- in fact, it is ideal time...

The waters are not rough and you should not have any rain...

Days can get up to 70 and nites around 60--if I remember correctly.

The Century is a very nice ship-it is the training ship for Celebrity cruise line so service and food are good!

Bring some antivert for hubs in CASE he thinks he will get seasick..you can now buy it over the counter...Take day before sailing and day of sailing--You will be fine..

What ports are you going to? Need that info before we can give answer..

If you are trying to make a plane flight home on disembarkation, you need to make the flight in the AFTERNOON , as security in European airports is tight and may take a while to get thru..
Do NOT do a morning flight back to the states...we normally do one for 1 pm or later...

gingersnap May 3rd, 2005 04:00 PM

Thanks to Andy for the info...the ports that we will be visiting are Cartagena, Spain; Ajaccio, France, Civitavecchia, Italy; Naples, Italy; Messina, Italy; Palermo, Italy; Valletta, Malta;....did you visit any of these and what do you suggest to do there...I know the ship has excursions to reserve, but would like to hear from someone who has been there and what they really liked....thanks

andy May 4th, 2005 07:47 PM

gingersnap-

Cittavecchia is the port for ROME-
I would suggest going into ROME for the day- by either private car service or cruise excursion...

A private car service that I have used is [email protected]

Ask for Andrea and he will tell you the costs...also they do tours and can also help you out....

Naples- IF You are staying overnite with the ship, rent a car at the train station and drive down the Amalfi Coast.INCREDIBLE scenery...stop in Sorrento and Positano...
The ride alone is worth the drive.

OR you can also get a driver to pick you up at the ship and drive you down the Amalfi Coast..

Here are a few Sorrento/ Positano based drivers who have had good reviews here:

www.seesorrento.com (M.Maresca) ... [email protected]

Sorry but my ship did not hit the rest of the ports that you are going to...

Have a terrific time!

Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi [email protected] for Naples

www.tourofitaly.com (G.Gargiulo) ... [email protected]

www.positanocarservice ... [email protected]

www.flaviogioia.com ... [email protected]

www.positanolimoservice.com or www.limocarservice.net ... [email protected] (L.Paone)

www.sorrento.it (S.Astarita) ... [email protected] or [email protected]

www.cuomonet.it

andy May 4th, 2005 07:49 PM

gingersnap-

here is another guide for Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano...This person came highly recommended and can take you to a neat place for lunch in addition to a great tour.

allanc May 5th, 2005 06:27 PM

I think that you are going at the absolute BEST time to go (similar to May). The weather will be great. We have only been on 4 cruise lines, the Mercury is our all time favorite. Great ship, great food, great service. Have a wonderful time. Try and book some private tours...the ship excursions can be very overpriced.

seagee Nov 20th, 2006 11:34 AM

Gingersnap - how did you like your cruise?

I am considering the 11-day Western Med & Morocco cruise, leaving out of Barcelona, for Oct.1, 2007. This one fits best into our wedding plans, in terms of date and length, but I know nothing about cruising in Europe, nor Celebrity. Would appreciate any guidance/comments/recommendations from all of you. Ports for this particular cruise would be: Barcelona, Marseilles, Nice, Florence, Rome, Ajaccio Corsica, Tangier Morocco, Casablanc Morocco, and Valencia Spain.

Thanks!
seagee

jacketwatch Feb 9th, 2007 07:34 AM

Catch and K: Well at least you're not alone. Many on this board have done that including me. It happens. Oh well.

nica Feb 9th, 2007 10:05 AM

If you touch Messina and they offer an excursion to Taormina with or without Siracusa, take it. IMO Taormina is the most beautiful place in Sicily and one of the best places in Italy. Siracusa is also ok (mostly art, no landscapes), Taormina art and landscape. Barcelona is very nice (I am spanish), Cartagena (also in Spain)is a horrible place, and very hot, skip it if you can.Casabalanca (Morocco) is a big and modern city, no particular arab flavour (big but modern mosque, moroccans seem to like it but no interest from art point of view) If they offer Rabat from Casablanca (the capital of Morocco), take it, much nicer and smaller.