Mediterranean-Best Line/Ship?

Feb 13th, 2001, 05:07 PM
kmd

Mediterranean-Best Line/Ship?

Am interested in planning our first Med. Cruise and would appreciate any info on best
cruise line or ship to look at. Also, what is the best time of year for this. Thanks a lot!

Feb 14th, 2001, 06:00 AM
hamlet

Mediterranean cruises usually take place the months between May and October - so sometime in there would be the best time to go. What is "best" has more to do with what places you want to see, how much time you have, how much you want to spend, what kind of atmosphere on the ship you want, etc. You'll need to give more specifics about what you want before you get concrete suggestions.

Feb 14th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Kellie

We booked our first Med Cruise. We wanted to see Eygpt and also were fans of Celebrity. So we chose the Millennium 12 night cruise sailing May, 31 2001. This trip will take us to Istambul Turkey, Greece, Eygpt, Cyprus, Italy, France, and Barcelona Spain. Looking forward to a great time.

Feb 14th, 2001, 01:40 PM
cruiser

Take a look at Renaissance Cruises
www.renaissancecruises.com

They have great prices and itineraries. The passenger numbers are low, up to 684 can be accomodated. The ships are gorgeous.

Feb 14th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Debi

I'm not sure what you're looking for in a cruise, but last year we took the Crystal Symphony Med Cruise - It started in May and was absolutely amazing. It started in Rome, then went to Taormina, Venice, Bari, Kusadasi-Turkey, Santorini, Mykonos and Athens-Greece. I would highly recommend Crystal - the service was beyond description, true pampering and excellent service. And the food.....fabulous! The tours were great - there was no down side.

Feb 15th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Kris

I saw a Frommer's book on European cruises and ports of call that you might want to take a look at. It went through all of the ships that do Med. cruises and gave info on the ports of call-likely shore excursions, how to do it on your own, highlights. Once you have an idea of what you're looking for in a cruise (price, amenities, ports), it will be easier to help.

We've been in late May to the western Med. (Spain, France, Italy)which was a wonderful time to go, not overly crowded, beautiful weather. We've also been to Greece/Turkey in late October which I thought was a bit too late in the year.

Feb 15th, 2001, 07:17 AM
kmd

Thanks for your replies! Debbie, Crystal sounds wonderful and I have ordered their brochure. Kris, I have taken your advice and ordered the Frommer's book which should help a lot.

Feb 18th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Tammy

My husband and I went on the Raddison Diamond from Istanbul to Athens. This ship has 350 passengers and one of the highest space to guest ratios around. The cruise stopped at Dikili and Kusadasi, Turkey and the Greek islands of Patmos, Samos, Rhodes, Mykonos and Santorini. The food was very good with lots of options. The ship was just renovated. It is the only one of it's kind. By that I mean it's double hull design. It looks like a giant catamaran, with out the sails. We were never aware of movement except minor vibrations. If you're prone to sea sickness, this is your ship.

Feb 18th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Tammy

I forgot to mention that we went early October. For the Greek Islands September and early October are the best. The water is the warmest then. There's a strong wind that blows in the islands May to September called Meltemi. I would've prefered to have gone a little earlier because things were starting to shut down.

Feb 18th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Bruce

Last May I was on Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas, 7 day Western Med cruise, which I would recommend. From Barcelona, the ship visited Nice/Monaco, Rome, Corsica, Sardinia and Malta. If you don't know those destinations, this cruise is a good introduction, although many of the shore excursions are on the expensive side, particularly to Rome. Since I've been to most of those destinations I stayed on the ship or just walked ashore in most places. I was impressed by the ship, very open and light-filled for such a large ship. I had low expectations of RCI and was impressed by the service, food, etc. The passengers were about half Americans and half European, which added to the interest. Also, Barcelona is a wonderful city and deserves several extra days to explore.

Feb 21st, 2001, 05:59 AM
lisa

Kellie, please post a report of your cruise when you come back. We are doing that same cruise (also first timers) in June. In particular, I'd like to know about shore excursions, whether the ship's ones are worth it or if you feel there were any you'd rather have done on your own. Also how dressy you find the passengers. What to watch our for. What you enjoyed the most etc. Any tips or comments would be very appreciated. We are taking young teens as well.Hope you read this post. If not I'll be doing a post in mid June titled, Kellie where is your report on the Millenium cruise? we are leaving for Istanbul mid June, so the sooner you get your laundry done and post a description, the better for me. Thanks

Feb 21st, 2001, 06:48 AM
Kellie

Lisa, I'll try to have a report for you before you leave but it may not happen. We are staying in Frankfurt Germany a day after our trip and have a long flight home. We won't arrive back to Calif. till after June 15th. Have a wonderful time!! Kel