Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Looking for Xmas 2008 Family Cruise & also Fall 2008 Cruise for me & hubby (25 yr. annv.) need ideas for both trips pl. help

Looking for Xmas 2008 Family Cruise & also Fall 2008 Cruise for me & hubby (25 yr. annv.) need ideas for both trips pl. help

Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

We are planning 2 cruises....one in fall 2008 would like (Europe)my husband & my 25th Annv. ....than we would like to take our kids on a cruise @Xmas 2008....ages ,17,18,22,24,27 for 2 weeks .....but we have no idea where...my son's thought of Brazil...please can you give me some tips.Never cruised ever .Thxs
Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM

You and your husband might enjoy one of the Danube or Rhine cruises, such as those offered by Grand Circle Tours, Viking, and so on. That would be a good, slower-paced introduction to the world of cruising.
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:21 AM

For your special anniversary cruise I'd go with an upscale, all inclusive line such as Regent, Silversea or Seaborne (Regent would be my first choice). If a balcony is important (a must for me) I would not chose Seabourn.

For the family cruise I'd probably stick with Princess. Cruising to Brazil is a wonderful experience. With just 2 weeks you may be a bit limited but it still sounds doable. We did a 2 month trip all around South America and it was our favorite cruise to date.
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM

I would also choose Regent for your anniversary cruise. Smaller, elegant ships, excellent cabins, food and service and very few, if any kids. Also the country club casual on most of their sailings as well as open dining gives you ultimate flexibility.

For your family cruise, I would choose a line that offers many activities. RCI would be a good choice. IMO, the lines that would offer a two week south American sojourn might not be best for a family cruise vacation.
Nov 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM

For the two of you, I'd check and see where Oceania ships cruise on the dates you want to go. Their service is FANTASTIC... priced right..smaller ships, Its our favorite cruise line.
In Nov., however we are cruising with HAL from Ft. L. through the Panama Canal to Lima Peru. We're not sure what to expect... sounds interesting......
Nov 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM

My husband and I just did a Transatlantic cruise last fall for our 35th anniversary. We flew to Rome and sailed throughout the Meddit. ( Italy, France, Spain, Portugal and then across the ocean to New York. The weather was wonderful in the fall and we had a wonderful time. Be sure to get a balcony room. You won't regret the extra cost when you are relaxing on that bacony after a full day of site seeing. Ask for a room on the portside which is great for views comintg into and leaving port. I would not reccomend the Holland America Line. Crew and ship were excellent but it caters to a much older crowd compared to other cruises we've been on. There's not as much to do as other lines. RCL and NCL are great. We are cruising on the Princess line next fall on a new cruise itinerary that does the Baltic capitals, Iceland, Greenland and down the east coast of Canada to Montreal on the St. Lawrence River. Can't wait. We also did the Alaskan cruise which was amazing. Best one so far because it's not commercial and the sites are unbelievable. The Norwegian line is great because it has freestyle dining. Loved it. Good luck in your search.
Nov 15th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Hi!
I came looking for the info on experiences with Costa cruise line.
It is little too late because we sail out of Ft.Lauderdale on December,29th. It is New Year cruise.
We had never spent NY away from home. I am little nervous but I will let you know afterwards.
Ship sounds grand but who knows?