Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Looking for the right Cruise-anyone familiar with Sea Dream?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've only gone on 2 cruises and both left a lot to be desired. Before throwing in the towel, we decided to try again and are looking at Sea Dream Yacht Club (Sea Dream I or Sea Dream II. They are the former Sea Goddess ships.). I'd prefer something with fewer than 250 passengers, good food and service. The Sea Dream sounds very appealing in that they only hold around 100 passengers and have their own private marina for watersports, and the wine and tips are included in the cruise fare. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced this. Every review I've read RAVES about them but I'm a bit leary as these may have been written by their booking agents. I trust the folks here more.

We're also considering Radisson, Windstar or Silverseas as well. There is something very appealing about the Sea Dream yachts. My husband and I are both 30, active, sun lovers. We will not be traveling with our children so prefer a ship with as few children as possible. I also don't want to feel nickeled and dimed to death all week. Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you. Jill
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 08:49 PM
MMSF

The ratings of the Sea Dream in the Conde Nest isn't good, though I have no experience with them. I hear it's a beautiful ship but the service is a problem. I can highly recommend the Silversea. The service is what you'd expect in this price class. The passengers might be a little too old for you. The best bet would be the Seabourn. I haven't tried it because it has no real balconey, only French balconies, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews both in service and dining. I believe it's a younger crowd.

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:12 AM

What's a French balcony?
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:20 AM
MMSF

I think it's French doors that can be opened and maybe you can step out for a foot or so, but not deep enough to sit down or anything. I've never taken a Seabourn because having a real balconey is important to me. So I don't really know.

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Think you'd be hard-pressed than to find a ship you'd like better than one of the Windstar sailing ships. I would suggest that the two of you go to Tahiti before the WindStar leaves at the end of 2004. There are fewer than 150 people aboard, it's country club casual, water sports platform, no tipping required, nice cabins, etc. etc. We just returned from the WindSurf's transatlantic crossing (it's could hold 300 folks but only 150 were on this 2 week non-stop cruise) and really had fun. Radisson gets high reviews but think it's not as relaxed and easy-going as Windstar. Saw one of the Sea Dream ships in St. Thomas - it looks very swanky and I think it's probaby too dressy for my tastes as is Silversea.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Interesting hearing about this ship. I always enjoy learning more about ships and cruiselines I'm NOT at all familiar with. We're booked on the Radisson Paul Gaughan for a Tahiti cruise. This too is 100% country club casual. NO ONE in Tahiti wants to get dressed up...for sure!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 02:47 PM

we have done the WINDSURF ( the largest of the Windstar line) and totally loved it..upscale casual- open seating dining..same type of water sports that are done off the rear of the ship( the hull drops down and you can kayak or windsurf etc)..food is awesome-No coat and tie needed at all ( this pleased my hubs to no end)...

You DO have to pay for your drinks--and unless you are a heavy drinker, I feel doing an all inclusive alchol deal on a cruise is the reason a lot of these ships cost so much...

There are NO balconies on Windstar ships but the 4 masted sails are soooooooooo romantic...

Average age---35-60--upscale yuppie and well travelled people who don't want to sail with the masses..and NO small kids--Only had a 21 yr old on the ship when we sailed and I felt really sorry for her...

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:39 AM

I can highly recommend the Radisson Diamond. Only 350 passengers and very few if any kids and hard to believe they are well mannered as well. There is nothing for kids to do on Radisson Diamond, the service and food is fabulous. I went March 2004.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 09:06 AM

I was on Seadream in the Med. and I highly recommend it. Better food than Silversea, less in facilities than Silversea...but if all you need is great service, great food, a nice spa, and beautiful surrundings then this is the place for you (and me and wife too!).

If you need live entertainment, then choose something else.