Looking for feedback on Golden Princess cruise to Greek Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am about to book a cruise on The Golden Princess in either early or late October depending which we can get (would prefer early due to reported weather being more favorable at that time of year(.. Has anyone had experience with this ship? My husband and I are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. We are slightly concerned about the size of today's ships but think it could be an interesting experience and it was what was available for most of the ports we wanted.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Congratulations! For tons of passenger reviews and this as well as most other ships go to: www.cruisecritic.com.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:24 AM

We visited Athens in October about 10 years ago and took a four-day cruise from there. The weather was beautiful. We were comfortable everywhere we visited in "summer" clothes and didn't even need a jacket or sweater in the evening.

I can't help with info on the ship. We aren't thrilled with the size of today's ships either, but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Quite appropriate to be sailing on the "Golden" Princess to celebrate such an important occasion. Happy Anniversary!!!
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Not sure if you've booked yet or not but if you haven't I would really encourage you to consider a much smaller ship ESPECIALLY in the Greek isles. I'd look at Oceania or my favorite...Regent. Ships as large as Golden Princess are more like floating cities with everything so spread out. We were very disappointed and quickly realized that this size ship is NOT for us. You will enjoy the Greek Isles and it sounds perfect for such a special anniversary as yours.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Congratulations on your up coming trip and on your 50th ( Wow!!).

I am going this coming October on one of those large ships...the Grand Princess...2600 people I think.

I reviewed every Mediterrean cruise there was for September October and the Ports of Call I wanted was only with Princess.

So it is up to you to decide what you want to see and then pick the ship, rather than vice- versa.!

When I talk to some friends who have done the Mediterraen Cruise and ask them

How was Pompeii?
How was Athens?
How was Istanbul?
Did you see the Leaning Tower of Pisa?!!

Did you do the Gondola Ride (water taxi)in Venice?

Their answer is no,no ,no,no no.!!

Well then , where did you go.?!!
They start naming ports..that are not high on MY list.

So you see what a personal preference this is.

Pick out the sure places you want to see on the cruise, you will never get all the ports you want...but if you get 80-90% of them you have done well.
Then..

Pick the best ship you can that has these ports.

My Travel Agent has done 4 Mediterrean Cruise,so she was very helpful with the MUST see places.

But first of all I gave her a list of what I WANTED to see and she had to find the cruise.

Good Luck and once again have a terrific time.
If I was going on your ship I would ask your name , just so I could buy you and Anniversary drink!!!

Take Care
Percy
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Congratulations on 50 years. That is quite a milestone. For such a special anniversary in the Greek isles I would also suggest you consider some of the smaller ships such as Seabourn, Silversea and Regent. These are all-inclusive including gratuities and liquor and are 5 star luxury. A lot depends on your lifestyle as well. In my case so much of the pleasure of a cruise has to do with the ship, cabin size, personal service and amentities itself not just the itinerary. It really is a personal choice. If you want to avoid the feeling of being "nickle and dimed" as well as waiting in lines or long walks from point A to point B on the ship, fewer children onboard I too would suggest a smaller ship with 700 passengers or less. Hopefully you can satisfy both the onboard experience as well as the right itinerary for you. Congratulations Schiffy.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Just did the Greek Isles, Rome to Venice on the Grand Princess and was disappointed. The Ports (Greece, Tirkey,& Croita were great, but the ship was not up to snuff. I would look at Celebrity if I were you. Princess charges for everything, like even ice cream in the afternoon. Does not supply transport to town in any ports. Big ship are O.K. Some thing might be a hassle, but should not be a problem in most cases. Have FUN...
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM

I have a private tour guide booked for every port I am coming to.

I do not like the Princess excursions nor getting on some 50-60 passenger bus.

When I get to a port , that is where Princess and I part company for the day.
I only need them to get me from one port to the next.

Percy

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM

We did the Golden Princess last year of Northern Europe. We were very happy with the ship, no complaints. The dining room menu will change a bit to offer more "european" favorites. We prefer big ships for motion sickness issues plus there's much more to do on a larger boat. The Greek Isles is the only other European destination I would consider for a cruise as you do not get to experience nearly as much of the local culture since you are dining and sleeping on the ship. Other than that I thought the Golden was great.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your input travelinwifey.

I have been on large ship and smaller ship... to me neither is no big deal.

I can tolerate a lot for 12 days !!!

Percy