Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Lisbon ideas/recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/lisbon-ideas-recommendations-833053/)

Nancy_W Mar 27th, 2010 09:04 PM

Lisbon ideas/recommendations

Hello - I will be going on a Mediterranean cruise this May. One of the cities that we will visit is Lisbon. I would like to see the city by public transportation instead of taking an excursion through the cruise line. Since we will only have one day in port, I am hoping to obtain the thoughts of fellow Fodorites as to their favorite places to visit/things to do in Lisbon. Thank you!

boom_boom Mar 28th, 2010 12:54 PM

Get to Sintra (IMO it's the top destination in Lisbon area). We hired a taxi driver and were able to do several other places that you can't get to on foot. I think it cost us about $100US for 3 of us and about a 6 hour excusion.

Nancy_W Mar 28th, 2010 02:36 PM

I am glad to hear that you would recommend Sintra! I had done some research and thought that we could spend the majority of the time in Sintra then see one or two places, if time allowed, in Lisbon. I should have written that in the original post. Did you make prior arrangements for a taxi to Sintra or did you hire someone when you arrived? I am looking forward to you response!

Ryan Mar 29th, 2010 06:24 AM

The Belem area of Lisbon has some wonderful sites. Among the area attractions are the Jerónimos Monastery, the Padrão dos Descobrimentos, and the Belem tower.

If you're going to visit Lisbon proper, I would consider this area. There are several well known pastry shops in the area for a quick bite.

If you decide to head to the coast from Sintra, you might consider Cascais or Estoril as a place to stop.

traveller69 Mar 29th, 2010 04:19 PM

One word of caution regarding Sintra. We took a private tour in Lisbon which included Sintra (a year ago). There was construction on the highway and we were tied up for a long time. By the time we got to Sintra (where we were going to have lunch) we couldn't get a table in the restaurant it was so crowded. The whole town was just packed so we ended up having to skip some other sites that were on the tour. If you really want to go do it first thing off the ship and then see Lisbon later when you are safely in time for the departure. If you do book a private tour I do NOT recommend your-lisbon-guide.com/ It was not a good experience. (We always book private tours and have had the best of luck but this was the only time we were not pleased)

ParrotMom Mar 30th, 2010 06:16 AM

Great advice.. Belem i lovely and of course you have to have one of the special muffins a the local bakery.. and Sintra is absolutely charming.. We spent an overnight one cruise and the second day we did the monuments.. Lisbon is a wonderful destination...and we did have private tours.. The ride to Sintra was lovely with the most magnificent beaches.. and first impression is that Lisbon is clean, clean, clean

patandhank Mar 30th, 2010 04:15 PM

I posted this question on Nancy's thread on the Europe forum and didn't get any answer, so I'll try it here. Any of you use the Lisboa card? We embark our cruise in Lisbon in August so we're going in a couple of nights early to see the sites. Thinking of getting the card. Your throughs?

MaryHG Mar 31st, 2010 02:54 AM

Hi traveller69 I think that you may have go your wires crossed as to who you took your Lisbon Sintra shore tour last year with as I cannot see ANY indication that it was with us your-lisbon-guide. We really like to answer any unhappy guest so please send me an email directly, I am sure that you have it in your records from last year so that we can ALL get the record straight.

boom_boom Mar 31st, 2010 07:51 PM

Nancy -- we spent the night on the ship before sailing and found our driver at the pier. Probably lucky to get a good one, but for us it worked out. The taxi gets you a lot closer and saves a lot of walking up hills than the train or tour buses. Also agree that The Belem area of Lisbon has some wonderful sites including the Jerónimos Monastery. En route back to Lisbon we also stopped briefly in Cascais and Estoril.

traveller69 Mar 31st, 2010 10:39 PM

Mary I do not have my wires crossed. I will email you if I can find your address.

Nancy_W Apr 1st, 2010 05:05 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. Traveller69 - I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I know how disappointing it is to look forward to something and then have things not work out as you had hoped. Everyone has given such excellent advice - I really appreciate it!!! I think that we will take the train to Sintra immediately after disembarking the ship and tour the town before heading back to Lisbon. Ryan - based on your recommendation, I have done some research on the Belem area. Looks like I will follow your advice. Thanks again everyone!