Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   liquor bought on cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/liquor-bought-on-cruise-684249/)

rucrazy Mar 2nd, 2007 05:36 AM

liquor bought on cruise

I'm planning on bringing back mucho liquor as gifts from our cruise. Can we take it on the airplane, as a carry-on, or is that forbidden now?

Ida101 Mar 2nd, 2007 06:00 AM

Not as carry-on, only in your suitcase nowadays.
Check the TSA rules.

gail Mar 2nd, 2007 08:58 AM

Only if it is 3 ounces or less and bottle can fit into a quart ziplock bag.

sandyjoy Mar 5th, 2007 01:55 PM

Make sure you pack the liquor well. It's easy for bottles to get shattered. We used a cooler bag and stuff clothes around the bottles. Worked ok.

joan Mar 6th, 2007 06:22 AM

Have the liquor store pack it for air travel. Don't try putting inside your luggage if glass, my friend did that and we could easily find her suitcase from the odor of Kahlua!

Don't purchase 151 proof rum, because it is illegal to transport on a plane, considered a fire hazard (as well it should be!) :D

cptelbow Mar 15th, 2007 09:28 AM

I think it is a 2 liter limit per adult. Over that you pay additional taxes. You may want to keep that in mind.

IslandGrl Mar 16th, 2007 12:55 PM

you won't be able to bring it back unless it's in your luggage. You will have to surrender it to security. Pack it well.

tennis_woman Mar 22nd, 2007 05:25 PM

Although the prices are great for on-board liquor, due to liquid restrictions, I had to pack the bottles inside clothing within the cardboard box and then pray that it wouldn't break in my luggage. My friend bought liquor for the same price at the duty-free in the airport and they hand carried it for her right to the plane and she saved space in her luggage!

doug_stallings Mar 23rd, 2007 09:35 AM

On most ships the duty-free liquor prices aren't that good anyway. I'd recommend you buy it on an island, then pack it in your luggage to check for your flight home. Some stores will bubble wrap it for you and put it in a good cardboard box. Depending on your cruise line's policies, they might require you to check it in as you board the ship, but they'll give it back to you before you disembark.

Arizona07 Mar 26th, 2007 06:30 AM

It's really a lot less bothersome to bring back candy or coffee as gifts now, just a suggestion!

Budman Mar 26th, 2007 07:58 AM

I would think by know that some of the liquor stores, especially in St. Thomas, would have the styrofoam boxes such as the ones that they have in Sonoma and Napa so the liquor can be checked in with checked baggage at the airport. ((b))

doug_stallings Mar 27th, 2007 05:07 AM

Budman, that's a good question about styrofoam. I'm going to look into that and will report back.

doug_stallings Mar 29th, 2007 01:27 PM

I've found out that A.H. Riise, the big duty-free chain is now using stronge boxes for duty-free liquor purchases, but I haven't been able to find out more than that. My instincts tell me that the Caribbean will be behind the curve for some time on this issue, but I'd love to see some styrofoam packaging down there.

Budman Mar 29th, 2007 02:40 PM

Doug, you might want to seriously consider coming to our GTG on 2 June at Paula's in Weehawken. I'll be bringing a nice selection of wines in styrofoam containers for you to check out. Bring Fodor Pins. :-) ((b))

lasmothers Apr 12th, 2007 05:48 AM

what about taking it in luggage to go on cruise out of vancouver,any problem in crossing into canada with it in luggage?