Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Leaving Cruise Ship Early (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/leaving-cruise-ship-early-805278/)

jel1031 Sep 9th, 2009 07:15 AM

Leaving Cruise Ship Early

We are planning a cruise next year that end in Venice, Italy. The only flight out on the last day of the cruise on our preferred airline is at 7:45am. Has anyone ever left a cruise ship by 5am? Will this be a problem? should we plan to stay over a day?

vickiebypass Sep 9th, 2009 01:08 PM

I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that you would be able to leave the ship at 5:00 am! Typically, the local authorities have to board the ship when it docks and go through their requirements before any passengers can disembark. Even if you sign up for "self-disembarkation" (meaning that you agree to carry ALL your own luggage off the ship), I suspect that the earliest you could get off the ship would be 8:00 am. Certainly, you can call the cruise line and ask them how early you can disembark...if the worst case is that you have to spend an extra day in Venice, that's not too shabby!

boom_boom Sep 9th, 2009 01:16 PM

Virtually impossible unless the ship actually arrives the night before and is cleared for disembarkation by the authorities. Know someone who had an overnight in the final port and were able to get off in the wee hours of the next morning, but I only know of that one instance.

jacketwatch Sep 9th, 2009 01:57 PM

What time is the ship due in? In 2007 our ship was due into port (Copenahgen) at around that time and our flight was at 0800. We were off the ship 10 mins. after it was due in and made our flight in plenty of time.

JoanneH Sep 9th, 2009 02:59 PM

"I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that you would be able to leave the ship at 5:00 am! Typically, the local authorities have to board the ship when it docks and go through their requirements before any passengers can disembark. Even if you sign up for "self-disembarkation" (meaning that you agree to carry ALL your own luggage off the ship) etc."
Above is good advice. I have often left ship early but it all hinges on the customs folks. If the ship come in the evening before you might be able to pull it off. On the other hand I have spent better than 1/2 a day while everyone else is off answering questions on why I wanted to leave early even after showing them tickets for plane or trains.
My advice is don't count on it.

Aristotle Sep 11th, 2009 10:19 AM

Who wouldn't want to stay a day extra in Venice?

solara Oct 8th, 2009 08:34 AM

We're on Diamond Princess cruise thats ends in Sydney December 10, (thursday) 2009. Ship scheduled to dock in Sydney 6:00 AM, and I have nonrefundable flight tickets departing Sydney International at 10:00 AM. Airport is 7 miles from dock. I plan on requesting early self departure with Princess while onbaord. Have you experiences disembarking cruise ship ( Princess line) in Sydney ? Think it's possible to get off ship by 8:00 AM - 8:30 AM so I can make the 10:00 AM flight ? Any suggestions on best way to ensure early departure would be most welcome.

SCFoodie Oct 8th, 2009 11:55 AM

I recommend staying over a day, especially if you just arrive in Venice that morning. We docked in Venice at the end of a cruise a couple of years ago and the early (very early) morning departure was brutal and not the best way to end an otherwise perfect vacation. Our ship arrived the morning before so we had an entire day/night to enjoy Venice. But having to be up and out so early the next day was very difficult. If you spend the next day in Venice, you'll get to be one of the last people off the ship and have the whole day to enjoy Venice.

Our cruise line had all passengers disembarked by 9am. That would have been a lot better than the 7am departure we had (for an 11:30am flight.) And some of our friends had to be up and out even earlier. I will never use the cruise line's airport transportation at the end of a cruise again. If I had just taken a taxi, it would have cost less and I could have disembarked at 9am and been at the airport by 9:30am - two hours before scheduled departure.

However, you'll still have to be up and out early to catch that 7:45am flight the next day. At least at the dock you should have easily accessible transportation to the airport. Getting from Venice proper to the airport at 5am, with luggage, may not be much fun. Any chance you could choose a different airline with a later departure time for your flight out?

Betsy Oct 12th, 2009 06:54 PM

Solara, wouldn't you have to be at the airport two hours prior to your 10:00am flight? I'm assuming it's an international flight). Phone Princess to ask how early you can be cleared for early departure and then keep your fingers crossed that the ship docks on time. If you booked your air through Princess you should be fine. If not, you may have a few anxious moments at the end of your cruise.

travelinggrammy Oct 15th, 2009 02:01 PM

Solara if you don't have travel insurance I highly suggest to buy some (not from the cruiseline) someone like travelguard. This way, if you don't make your flight then at least you'll get most of your airfare back, and they will help you get another flight... good luck.

Dayenu Oct 16th, 2009 09:56 AM

Jel, at what time the cruise ship is scheduled to arrive?

jel1031 Oct 31st, 2010 06:00 PM

As an update, we sailed on the Star Princess in September and booked an extra day in Venice because we could not get info about leaving the ship in time to catch flight home. During the cruise, Princess offered transport to the airport on the last day. You did not have to book that in advance of the cruise. Departures began at 4:45am. which is plenty of time to catch first flights out.

Dayenu Nov 1st, 2010 07:50 AM

Thank you, Jel!

We're going to Venice in May on Norwegian.

Aristotle Nov 1st, 2010 03:53 PM

Cruise lines are not helpful with air travel. What they have is what you get. On the other hand, do it on your own and they wash their hands of you. Stay another day in Venice. It's a no brainer.