Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Leave your cell phone in the cabin!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/leave-your-cell-phone-in-the-cabin-207887/)

jj Apr 27th, 2002 10:23 AM

Leave your cell phone in the cabin!!

I was recently on a mediterranean cruise. Wanting to have a quieter atmosphere, a group of us went to the lounge chairs on the upper deck, above the pool. We and a few like-minded passengers were mostly sunning and reading. One woman, with a loud voice, called up a friend on her cell phone and was yammering and gossiping for a half hour. It was incredibly annoying! I wanted to grab that cell phone and toss it overboard!

Imwithya Apr 27th, 2002 10:35 AM

JJ: I for one would have stood up and applauded if you threw her cell phone overboard. Just today I had to stand in line at McDonalds behind a lady who actually asked the person behind the counter to "wait a minute, I'm on the phone" when they attempted to serve her. While they can be a great convinience, people need to know when it is appropriate to use them, and that is almost never in public. Good post!

Barbara Apr 27th, 2002 01:14 PM

So - since when can't a person talk out on deck. What difference does it make if she's talking to a person or on her cell phone? She wasn't in a restaurant or watching a show. Get over it. Who put you on phone patrol.

cruiser Apr 27th, 2002 01:57 PM

The difference it makes is that those on cell phones talk MUCH louder than those in normal conversation with a person right next to them.

1ofthefeww/mannersleft Apr 27th, 2002 02:49 PM

That's the problem with most of society these days. Nobody has manners anymore. It really bugs me when I pay big $$$ for some quiet relaxation and some loser has to sit next to me and show how important they are by taking to other people back home. They don't understand NOBODY CARES! I just leave, there's no help for someone with low class like that.

Ron Apr 27th, 2002 05:55 PM

The really-really important people don't take their cells with them everywhere;They don't have to impress anyone with their "importance".They leave someone in charge when they are gone.<BR>We all see people in restaruants, stores, vacation or anywhere we go with their cell plastered to their head.Cells are like something else that comes to mind---everyone has them!

sIMON Apr 27th, 2002 06:41 PM

I would love to slap those bitties silly that scream and yap at the top of their lungs when on their stupid cell phones. Why throw the phone overboard. Throw the bittie overboard and watch you try to swim to the nearest cell phone dealership.

Faina Apr 30th, 2002 01:05 PM

I was on a bus in San Francisco, and a man probably in his 50s was talking on the cell phone discussing his friend's trip to a mating place with his dog. He did not care that everybody was staring at him! <BR><BR>Some day this cell chatters will make me to cut in into their conversations with my silly comments :) I'll let you know if it worked!

Paul Therault Apr 30th, 2002 10:49 PM

<BR>We all know about the ignorant cell-phone users but could someone give us all some advice and tell us if your cell-phone can connect in the islands and if so what carrier do you use? I am told that Verizon will work in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Is this true?<BR><BR>Paul

pianomaster May 5th, 2002 07:52 PM

Will my cell phone work while cruising in Alaska? I would probably stare down the person who yapped for 30 minutes on the deck. I think they'd get the hint real quick.