Exhausted by the planning!

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhausted by the planning!

After a frantic 2007 and busier 2008 coming up, we're keen to get away as a family for a couple of weeks, start of Jan 2008 - unwind, enjoy each other's company and new experiences... relaxation or revelry, depending on the mood or age!(Us in our late 40's, kids 21 & 16) Family day trips and dining together on board essential but keen to give the kids some space too for plenty of activity and fun!
Questions - where to go? who to go with? which ship?
Lots of flying time involved from Oz so don't want to make wrong decision!

Mediterranean on MSC - could cold weather keep us cooped up inside cabins on ship? Day trips dodgy due to wintry weather? MSC ok line for us.
Caribbean - which part? is there much diversity on land and can weather be a bit "iffy" (heard wind sometimes prevents tenders being launched...)Best part, best line?
Latest thought - Asia (ex Singapore, to Vietnam etc) on Royal Carib Rhapsody... (shorter flying time!)
Any suggestions, experiences welcome!
Planning is doing my head in - I will sleep the whole trip I think! Men of the house happy to go "wherever Mum reckons"! Aaaagh!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 05:58 AM

I think I would avoid cruising the Med in January, though I do enjoy land trips there in the off off season. Weather can be rainy and cold and indeed could keep one indoors.

The Caribbean is wonderful in January with very good weather as a rule. I would suggest one of RCIs monster ships for the widest choice of accomodation and activity for the kids. They are extremely family focused and offer an overall good experience.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Where are you flying from? I think a Caribbean Cruise is ideal for a family. It can give the young ones there "space" and together family times as well. The Southern Caribbean is my favorite often leaving from Puerto Rico. It is by far the warmest and generally the calmest waters and best ports. I do not know all of them but RC had Adventure of the Seas. You can also consider an AI resort for a week as well. I would opt for the cruise though. The Med is out for that time frame. We went last Jan. on the Pearl which was a brand new lovely ship from Norwegiean Cruise line. It had a bowling ally on it and I believe it has an 8 day cruise leaving from Miami. The food is mediocre at best on this line. RC is much better.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:09 PM

We were on Serenade of the Sea RCL in January leaving from San Juan. No rainy weather-very pleasant. This is a good family ship also. Food is very good, activities for everyone. Especially enjoyed the ports of Barbados and St. Lucia. Maybe because these were the 2 I had never visited before. Went to the island of St John by ferry (from St. Thomas )which I think if one of the most beautiful islands.
Families are very welcome on this cruise. This is a 7 day cruise.
I have been to Vietnam and Singapore,but not on a cruise.
I am waiting to go on My Mediterranean cruise in warmer months as I think the weather is an iffy one in Jan.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:59 AM

banjobee, why don't you give all that planning to a TA and spare you headache? Besides, you may get a lower price or perks vs. cruise line price.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM

We are booked on the Princess Jan 20 sailing to Mexican Rivera. Looked at the Caribbean and determined that the Baja is better. Been to the Caribbean in Jan and the sea was rough on some days.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:56 AM

JMO, but having done the Mexican Pacific coast route twice, it does not compare to the Caribbean. The beaches are not nearly as nice, the water not stunningly beautiful and the cuisine not as diverse as in the Caribbean.

The waters between San Diego and Mexico were pretty rough both times.

I don't care to go back.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 04:28 AM

There are Southern Caribbean cruises from Miami. We're going on one in March 2008.

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Hi Kfusto, what time of the year did you cruise Mexican Baja? I was given the impression that for Jan. the water is calmer than the Caribbean??
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:59 AM

We went this past April and the skies were clear but the waters rough. I also cruised that area in Jan. of 2003, same experience.

The trip to and from Seattle was rocking and rolling and staff and crew commented it was a smooth sailing.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:37 PM

smaller ships have more maneuverability, large ones more for the kids to do, activities, etc. Maybe to Tahiti, papeetee round trip....that was a good one, and not so far in the air.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 06:29 AM

My Mother use to cruise the baja mexico cruises and stated they were as smooth as glass. She always went in the summer however not Jan. I would not go in Jan. As Kfusto said the waters are not as clear and the beaches are not like the caribbean. This also is true for Hawaii. To me they did not compare.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM

If I were you I would pick a large ship (the younger folk will find more to do on board)
I would do a Panama Canal Cruise. This usually leaves out of Florida and will stop at some Carribean Islands and Costa Rica before going part way through the Panama Canal which is a great experience.