Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Last-minute--Aegean cruise: First European vs. Royal Olympia vs ?

Last-minute--Aegean cruise: First European vs. Royal Olympia vs ?

Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Last-minute--Aegean cruise: First European vs. Royal Olympia vs ?

Does anyone have any experience with Aegean cruises...i.e. Venice to Athens, or Athens to Venice to Istanbul, with Greek island stops in-between, etc.? I just bailed on a trip on European Vision, but might still be able to go, or get on a Royal Olympia one. One better than another? Other cruise line recommendations? I was a little concerned that there wouldn't be many other English speaking shipmates on the First European cruise, and, though that in and of itself is great (and cosmopolitan), this is my first cruise and was looking for perhaps a little more ship comraderie/interaction. Also, I am more interested in the ports of call, and time available there than the amenities offered on board. Insight would be greatly appreciated.
Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:02 PM

philsbert1,

My friend just returned on a 7 night med. cruise on Royal Olymia Explorer and had nothing to say but compliments about the whole trip. The cabins were roomy, the cruise excursions were well planned and the ship crew did everything to make her trip. There was a mix of Europeans and Americans - with English being the "first" language. I am going on the same cruise in September and feel rest assured that the trip will be great and have nothing to worry about. If you have any questions, please feel free to write.
Anita
Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. The Grand Mediterranean tour on the Olympia Explorer on 9/12 was one of my options. Is that the trip your friend did? I have heard it's one of the fastest boats, which allows for more ports and time in ports but can make for a rougher ride. Did your friend have any information re the smoothness of the sailing? How about the port tours? Any info is greatly appreciated!
Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:21 PM

philsbert1,
This is the exact trip that my friend was on. I,also, will be on that ship on September 12th. Her cabin was on the aft part of the ship and she did not hear the engines at all. She said that the sailing was smooth - not at all rough.

She felt that the excursions that she took were well run and well planned. Even the dining room meal times would change if the excursions were very late in the day, i.e. on the Turkey excursion you don't get back to the ship until 7:00, so the dinner times were adjusted to the excursions. All in all, she had no complaints. I can't wait to go.

If you have any questions, just ask - happy to help.
Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm going to try and book the voyage. Maybe we'll see each other there!
Jul 4th, 2003, 04:36 AM

Philsbert1

If you book the trip let me know. Maybe we can meet for a drink or just to say hi.
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

It's a deal. I won't know for a week or two but I'll repost if I get the trip. Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread