Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   LA Cruise Port Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/la-cruise-port-hotel-826100/)

Eschew Feb 11th, 2010 02:20 PM

LA Cruise Port Hotel

It's been a while since we were there. What is the best LA Cruiese Port Hotel around San Pedro/Long Beach? We have stayed at the Crown Plaza before and is thinking about the Queen Mary this time. We were also told the Holiday Inn is nearby and reasonably priced and offer shuttle servcies.

We plan to stay around for 3 or 4 days before boarding the ship and did not plan to rent a car. Is shuttle available from LAX to hotel and hotel to cruise port and other attractions around LA? Are the Blue Van and the Red Van still running?

Any info would be appreciated. Has anyone stayed at the Queen Mary prior to their cruise?

Jeff801 Feb 13th, 2010 11:59 AM

As a (former)long time resident of Los Angeles, I am concerned that you may be hazy on local geography and the relative inconvenience of public transportation. (The line in "All That Jazz" that "In LA you need a Mercedes to go the bathroom," isn't that far off the mark.)

IMHO< San Pedro and Long Beach do not have enough to occupy you in for a four day stay, even if you take the boat to Catalina for one of them. There is no economical and convenient way to get form the harbor areas to most of what you would want to see in the LA basin.

I think you would be better off renting a car from one of the majors at the airport, locating in a hotel with free parking, perhaps at Marina del Rey, and doing your sightseeing that way. Driving in LA is not that difficult if you get a car with a GPS.

All the major rental agencies are near the cruise port, and provide free shuttles to the ships. It is easy to get to the Harbor Freeway from most of LA and once heading south, almost impossible to get lost on the way to San Pedro.

Eschew Feb 19th, 2010 02:23 PM

Thanks Jeff, renting a car is still an option. Hotels around the LAX freeways are cheaper too. We are looking for soemthing different and that's why the Queen Mary.

We don't plan to go too far, Catalina Islnad for a day, go shopping for a day (Queen Mary offers shuttle to shopping area?) and maybe book a Gray line tour for a day. I know the dining room in Queen Mary is pricy and not sure if there is anything else within esay walking distance. If my memeory serves me correctly, it's all parking lots around the ship.

We have not book anything yet so it is still flexible. I have some long lost friends in the LA area (Temple City?) and if we can reconnect, then renting a car is essential.

Jeff801 Feb 20th, 2010 08:07 AM

Eschew,

It's been a long time since we've been on board the Queen Mary, the only ship my wife ever got seasick on, but I think you are right about the lack of restaurants nearby. You would have to get a cab to any place where you want to go, and I would depend on the locals for recommendations in Long Beach or San Pedro.

BTW, one of the certain ways of spotting a tourist in LA is checking out the people trying to hail a cab. While it is possible that you will be able to find some waiting at the Queen Mary, generally it will be necessary to call for one there and when you want to return.

Eschew Feb 22nd, 2010 03:17 PM

You won't get sea sick on the Queen Mary any more as it is permanently docked. My old man travelled on the QM when he was much younger so that's one reason for the visit. I think there are still a few original things there.

The more I looked at it, the more I am leaning at renting a car and staying at QM for one night only or two jsut for the experience. I've also been told the cabins are small and crappy as well. Seems the more I ask around, the less desirable a destination.