San Juan, Puerto Rico port help

Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Juan, Puerto Rico port help

Hello,
If my cruise docks in San Juan at 6:00 AM....is an 8:00 AM flight home too difficult to do?

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM

8AM is way too early for a departure flight. Although the ships arrive early, US Custom & Immigration must clear all non residents before anyone can disembark. I just returned home from a cruise out of San Juan. Our ship arrived at 6AM, but no one ways allowed to disembark until shortly before 8AM. You really should not book a flight that leaves before 11-11:30AM to be on the safe side. The cruise lines suggest 12Noon. The San Juan airport is a mess when several ships are disembarking passengers.

Remember to have you bags inspected by the USDA PRIOR to going into the terminal to check in for your flight home. Airlines will not take you bags unless they has the USDA sticker on them.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Definitely too early, just got back last month and it really was a zoo at the airport because of bags being inspected prior to check in like BarbAnn said.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the info!!! Saved me!!!!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM

If you need a place to stay in San Juan, check out the Caribe Hilton. It's a very nice little self-contained resort not too far from the docks.

I've gotten great deals on a room there through Priceline. Check out a site like "betterbidding.com" or "biddingfortravel.com". These are places where people post their Priceline experiences. What I found is that the Caribe Hilton is the only resort class hotel Priceline reps., so you're guaranteed to land there. I've paid as little as $75/night. Don't know if this is still true, but I was very pleased with my results.