Kauai Tours/excursions

Search

Kauai Tours/excursions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Tours/excursions

We are leaving in 2 weeks for Hawaii. We have nothing planned for one of the days while we are in Kauai. We will be on the NCL Pride of Aloha. Does anyone have any ideas for a ship excursion or a not to be missed sight? We are going on a Helicoptor ride one day. Any ideas? Also is it necessary to book this now or when you get off the ship on the dock are there any tours offered by the locals? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:10 AM

If a possibility, rent a car and get to Waimae Canyon. The ship tours are twice the cost and only go to one look out point. There are several and all worthwhile to stop at.

The lighthouse, Poipu, spouting horn, etc are also other worthwhile stops to make on your own. Easy to drive and get about.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Rent a car and drive to the North Shore. Hanalei Bay overlook is breath taking.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

We are renting a car in Hilo and Maui. We are interested in the Walmean canyon and "Fern Grotto." It appears looks we will book a ship tour.

AGAIN, are there locals when you get off the ship, tour groups offering various tours?? I know in the Caribbean one never has to plan ahead as they are plentiful. Thank-you.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

We are renting a car for the entire day in Kauai for our free day. We booked it all ready. This way we can do what we want and see the sites on our own, for less money. Just wanted to update. Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM

I was there in January and no there weren't many, if any "tours" at the docks.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM

As I recall from our last land trip to Kauai the dock area is pretty industrial with little in the way of tourist stuff within walking distance.

If you want to see one of the most awsome beaches I have ever seen you need to drive up to the beach near the Barking Sands Naval Station. I can't recall the name of it, but I am sure somebody on the board will know.

I recall we drove some fairly bumpy roads and I almost turned around once thinking we were lost. It was well worth the drive. Huge sandy beach as far as you could see and nobody, I mean nobody else, was there. This was in October.

If you are doing the helo ride you will be hard pressed to top that at anyplace you can drive to. Waimae Canyon is pretty awsome, also.