Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Just returned from Voyager (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/just-returned-from-voyager-298933/)

Marbie Mar 18th, 2003 01:50 PM

Just returned from Voyager

We just returned from the Voyager cruise March 9 - 16. I had read numerous comments here and on cruisecritics, so I won't repeat alot of what I read numerous times. I will make a few additional comments:<BR>We are a family of 4 and got the ocean view with a balcony. It had a sofa bed. My husband &amp; I slept on the sofa bed and it was quite comfortable. Nice and firm. I have back problems so I was concerned about the mattress. The room had lots of space with nooks to put things away. I have to have things tidy or I go crazy. We were able to remain neat and tidy in the room, with plenty of drawer space. I saw no need to have adjoining rooms, as long as you can be organized. <BR>The pop card is a great value. My kids are not great pop drinkers at home, but you can do shirley temples with it. You do need one for each child though. <BR>We got the alcoholic card, and didn't find it a great value. When we ordered the house wine at dinner with it, the glasses were smaller then if you had ordered a glass of wine off the menu. Also, beer is cheaper to pay out right for it.<BR>Bottled water is widely available on the ship, at $3.50 a bottle (1 litre). I would suggest taking some bottles from home. They are also widely available at all port duty fee shops for half the price. <BR>The water coming out of the bathroom tapes was brown at times. We used bottled water for brushing our teeth also.<BR>The rock climbing wall was busy, but my son got on when ever he wanted. You have to arrive 15 minutes before the hour to sign up. Make sure you wear socks.<BR>We were impressed with the food on board. We looked forward to dinners. Even my kids who are traditionally fussy eaters, looked forward to trying new things. If they didn't like it, our waiter was quite willing to replace it. (We only had to do that once though)<BR>We booked through Peat Taylor in Jamacia. He was very good. I was having concerning the night before on the cruise because everyone I spoke to was doing a ship excursion. But Peat was very professional. He had 2 busses, about 50 of us off the voyager. I was glad we booked with him.<BR>We booked Captain Marvin in Grand Cayman. We had the actual Captain Marvin, he is about 75 years old! He was great. We thoroughly enjoyed String ray city and the Reef. Captain Marvins office was a 5 - 10 minute walk from the dock. We had booked the 11:15 - 1:15 tour. We had time for shopping after the tour, and didn't have to get up too early.<BR>Mexico we took a taxi to Chankaab? (spelling??) It worked out well. We snorkelled, checked out the Iquanna's , and tours the ruins. There is alot of shopping, right on the peir, so we found it was not necessary to go into town. My son got a beautiful chess set for $20. We got some Mexician blankets for $5.each. Kahlau for $9.50 a bottle. Beers to go were $2. a bottle. <BR>If any one has any questions just post here and I'll try and answer.

maryann Mar 18th, 2003 02:19 PM

Thanks for the review, love them.<BR><BR>Any problems, what was your favorite thing on sea days?<BR><BR>Would you take this ship again, were there alot of kids running amok?

Marbie Mar 18th, 2003 06:44 PM

My daughter &amp; I did the napkin folding lesson. We had a great time. They had also offered a towel folding class that I missed. They were alot of fun. I'm not a sun person but there was always other things to do. The mini golf was fun. We did virtual golf, and had fun also. <BR>Although it was a spring break for alot of states and Ontario, there were not alot of little kids around. We had done the disney cruise a few years ago, and the pool deck was over run with toddlers.<BR>We have already booked the Adventure for next year. So YES, we would and will do it again.

LissaJ Mar 19th, 2003 06:40 AM

How much were the soda cards? Alcohol cards?

Marbie Mar 19th, 2003 01:46 PM

The soda cards were 27.06 with taxes and tips included and the alcohol cards were 47.97 with tax and tips. Any drink you buy on board will automatically include a tip,so you either pay for it on a card or individually. The soda cards had no limit though to the number of drinks you got, but you could only get one drink per trip to the bar per card. One kid on the ship was sent by his dad to get 4 drinks for the family with his card and they would only give him one. To buy a soda individually it was $1.50 before taxes and tips.<BR> My husband and I shared an alcohol card and it was good for 12 drinks only. So, You ended up paying about $3.50 per drink. I think the regular beers on board were less then that per drink, so we didn't use the drink cards for beer. I used it once for a pina coloda, but I ended up getting a smaller one than everyone else. That was fine for me, because it was too sweet, and I never finished it anyway.We used the card mostly for wine at dinner, but as I mentioned above we got a smaller glass. Now I'm not sure if it was smaller because it was always the house wine or not. But we decided not to get the alcohol card again - didn't feel it was worth it.