Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Just back from HAL cruise to Alaska aboard the Volendam

May 22nd, 2001, 04:29 PM
Dawn

Especially to [email protected] - the weather was almost perfect. Although it was predicted rain every day, we hit some cloudy skies, but had some sun, too, each day ----even in Ketchikan, where it really rained in the morning.

For the couple from Australia ( sorry can't remember your names) the Volendam was a great ship. Very clean, excellant service both in the staterooms and dining rooms. The tours were first rate. I especially enjoyed the new tour in Skagway, titled The Garden Gourmet. Well, worth the price! Have a great cruise in June, and let me know how you liked the ship, etc.

May 23rd, 2001, 08:16 AM
Parrot Mom

The Smithsonian Magazine this month has a great article about cruising and the Volendam and their trip through Alaska.. Now, if I could just talk myself into going to an area where Ihave to wear a heavy jacket...

May 23rd, 2001, 07:58 PM
Jesse

To parrotmom-went to Alaska last year (June) and only needed a jacket twice-once while walking on a glacier and the second time while watching glaciers calve in Glacier Bay. They do have summer there, if only for a few weeks. And I've never seen more amazing flowers than in Fairbanks(23 hours of sun).

May 23rd, 2001, 08:14 PM
Dawn

To parrotmom- I wore a wind breaker most of the time, except for a rain jacket the morning in Ketchikan. I walked the deck twice a day, and needed just a sweatshirt under the wind breaker. It really isn't that cold in Alaska! Especially if you do the Inside Passage. Go for it, it's an experience you'll never forget.

May 24th, 2001, 04:24 AM
Parrot Mom

Thanks..may consider it in another year or two... as it is we are leaving in two days for warm and beautiful Bermuda..

May 24th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Donna

Dear Dawn,
I am wondering if you would mind if I emailed you directly, as I have a lot of questions about the Volendam?
We have just come from the travel agent and have picked up all of our documents. Our cruise leaves on the 2nd of July.
We can't wait!
Donna and Craig
Australia.

May 24th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Dawn

Donna and Craig - please do. And I'll do my best to answer all of your questions. Just received my pictures back, today, and I'm reliving the whole experience.

May 25th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Sharon

I sailed Alaska in September '96. The only jacket I needed was a lined nylon rain jacket when we were in Glacier Bay. And the weather wasn't what I would call uncommonly cold. The only other time I needed it was if I was out on deck VERY EARLY in the morning. The weather was beautiful. In fact, during the day it became almost hot.

Sharon