Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Juneau (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/juneau-463330/)

blondiepopo Jul 29th, 2004 07:55 AM

Juneau

Need info on the shuttle that goes from the pier to the Mendenhall Glacier. We're taking one of the tours that is offered through the cruise lines, but after that we wanted to see the Glacier only, and they don't offer anything that doesn't have something else with it.Heard there was a shuttle to the Glacier.

PamT Jul 29th, 2004 11:47 AM

You can purchase a ticket for the shuttles that run to Mendenhall right along the pier or on the bus.$5 each way. The bus stops right by the information booth along the pier. Not hard at all and you can spend as much time as you like at the glacier.

blondiepopo Jul 29th, 2004 03:42 PM

Thanks - that'll work for us.

BudgetQueen Jul 30th, 2004 03:52 AM

Depending on what tour you are taking- you may be better off booking independently and going directly to Mendenhall. This would involve flights and whale watches. All are in the general area- 20 min one way transfer between them and downtown. Having a Mendenhall drop off significantly saves port time. As mentioned- you just go to one of the booths at the dock area and buy a $5 shuttle ticket. Then at Mendenhall buy your ticket back on the first available bus- at least 2 companies run the shuttles. There can be significant lines causing waits for several buses- so don't cut your time too short if you have an early departure from Juneau.

blondiepopo Jul 30th, 2004 04:39 PM

We're there from 1p to 11p so we should be okay with the time. Going to take the mining tour with my mom (she's 77) and then go see the Glacier. That should still give us time to go to the Red Dog Saloon. Wanted to take the helicopter ride but sometimes get motion sickness, and the cruise changed their arrival time in Juneau, and 2 out of 3 helicopter rides leave before we arrive there, and the other one is sold out. All that's left are the more expensive ones (like $100-$200 more). Not going to take the chance of getting sick on a $300 helicopter ride.

BudgetQueen Jul 31st, 2004 04:11 AM

My opinion only- but a glacier helicopter landing is the top tour in Alaska. If prone to motion sickness- take precautions- same advice for your ship- it's a myth - the Inside passage can be rough. Consider booking direct and see if there is any availability? www.coastalhelicopters.com trips start at $180pp, superb service and great tours. There is no comparism with seeing Mendenahll Glacier from the ground and the Juneau icefield from the top. :)

blondiepopo Aug 2nd, 2004 07:17 PM

i really did want to go on the helicopter ride but once I get motion sickness I'm done for the day, even if I get back on land. Pills don't always help. Did you mean that the Inside Passage is rough?

blondiepopo Aug 2nd, 2004 07:18 PM

Would probably be o.k. on the helicopter if it flew to the Glacier and landed but if it dips up and down to show us stuff that's what I'm afraid will make me sick. I'm going to check out that website you suggested. Thank you.

BudgetQueen Aug 3rd, 2004 03:58 AM

Absolutely the Inside Passage can be rough- it is a myth it is always smooth as glass. The key is to take and keep taking precautions, Prevention is the key. Consult your MD, have you tried Bonine?? Up to 2 tablets can be taken and sometimes taking one in the morning and one at night does the trick.

blondiepopo Aug 3rd, 2004 10:17 AM

Yes I tried Bonine - didn't work at all and go sick on a scuba diving trip. I usually take Actifed for allergies and the antihistamine properties of that usually work. So does Dramamine.Thanks for the warning about the possible rough water. Motion sickness is awful - has ruined quite a few trips for me. Other females in my family have it also - wonder what the familial link is. I don't see too many men that get motion sickness.

BudgetQueen Aug 4th, 2004 04:18 AM

Oh I've seen plenty of men seasick on the Kenai Fjords boat trips- they are usually the ones at the pier before boarding- claiming they never get sick. :) Seen plenty on fishing trips and my yearly 3-4 day whale research trips out of Gloucester every year. Yep- they're out there!!! :)