Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > June 19 Sawyer Glacier cruise - Will we see glaciers??

June 19 Sawyer Glacier cruise - Will we see glaciers??

Mar 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

June 19 Sawyer Glacier cruise - Will we see glaciers??

We are doing the June 19 RC Sawyer Glacier. How close will we see icebergs calving at Tracy Arm? Can we take a smaller boat from Juneau or Skagway to see glaciers from the waterside? Will we see glaciers from our ship in this area??
Mar 26th, 2009, 06:26 AM

You should be able to see the glaciers, at least from a fair distance. Calvng? It all depends if you actually get close enough. You'll have a 50-50 chance to get close enough in June. Not getting close enough to the Sawyers has been a common complaint. Safety comes first.
Mar 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Sorry, you do NOT have a 50/50 chance of seeing the Sawyer's. Less than 25% of the ships see them overall, and in June, still early. It also is NOT about "safety" it's TIME. Which the cruiseships run on a very tight schedule. They time out, go so far, then turn back.

It appears you are on RCI?? Not likely, but if you have a full port day, at least 7a-7p, then, yes you can book yourself on the boat tours that go to Tracy Arm. IF you want to consider getting on NCL, they offer a superb add on "necessary" jet boat tour- FAR superior to anything seen from your cruiseship.

I put together a photo sample, this sailing was the third week of July and the FIRST time this ship got within "view" of the glacier, the photo also shows how CLOSE it got, taken with a normal lens.
Mar 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

IF glaciers are a priority, then it is going to be necessary for you to book some type of glacier tour.
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Only 25%? I thought it would be at least 1/3 or better.
Mar 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Absolutely NOT. And there is essentially little chance until about mid June, or later. August opens up with "more" success.
Mar 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM

Hi Budgetqueen, pardon my ignorance, if the ships are on a tight schedule and they time out and then they have to return, why would they have more success later in the season? Is it because of the number of smaller boats around the channel or the amount of larger unmelted ice chunks floating around?
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:48 AM

Later in the season the ice isn't as packed, but it isn't all about ice. The more times the cpt transits the fjord the more familiar as well. It's many factors combined, along with port schedules etc.
Apr 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM

I have always find the fjord further up north much more majestic than the Swayers. I have only been to the Sawyers once. Make it there the first time, beginner's luck?

Love the Glacier National park, there are so much to see.

I have never made it to Sitka yet but I hope to be there this August. BQ, what are the must see in your opinion at Sitka?

Saw your webshot Alaska pictures. Very nice, especially the ice festival pictures. I guess you must live in Alsaka.

I put some Alaska pictures on webshot too if you want to take a look. My user name there is "e_s_c_h_e_w". I cannot be "searched" on the webshot search engine. It is probably becasue of all the underscores in my user name.

Here is the link to my webshot pictures.
http://community.webshots.com/user/e_s_c_h_e_w
Apr 6th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Sitka is also a top tour areas for boat tours, with varied wildlife. Only "accessable" boat tour area for puffins and seaotters. Great walking city as well. No, I do not live in Alaska. Trip 26 is coming up for me next month.
Apr 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM

We were there mid-June, and the captain announced, it's too dangerous for the ship to get into Tracy Arm and cut the time in half. We did see the beautiful scenery and floating ice chunks.
Apr 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks BQ. I planned to do a walking tour anyway as Sitka was the old Alskan capital in the Czarist Russia days. Heard there are lots of historic buildings. So, it's a good confirmation from you. Puffins and seaotters are not high on my list. How about the St Lazaria island? Is it worth a trip for the sea caves?
Apr 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM

"We were there mid-June, and the captain announced, it's too dangerous for the ship to get into Tracy Arm and cut the time in half. We did see the beautiful scenery and floating ice chunks."

This is the standard- excuse, the ships give, and in no way accurate. Think about it, do you really think it is dangerous?? Sorry, no. IF it was, wouldn't you think it would be avoided, there would be "reports" of mishaps etc etc etc. NO, the scheduling of Tracy Arm is just too tight- only answer.
Apr 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM

St. Lazaria is "necessary" if you want puffin viewing.

Search this Thread