Reload this Page >

Jeans? Attire on cruise ship and ecursions - Royal Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Elisa

How often do people wear jeans on the ship or on excursions?<BR><BR>I'm in the process of buying clothes which are all very nice casual, but didn't know if I would feel underdressed wearing jeans on the ship when we are at sea or for breakfast.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Mike

Most Royal Caribbean cruises are reasonably casual. If you're wearing nice casual clothes, you won't feel out of place. During the "formal" dinner night they have during the week, the typical dress is coat and tie for the men and comparable for the women. Natually, you'll see the whole spectrum. If you're more comfortable in jeans, wear jeans. It's your vacation. The crew will do everything to make you feel at ease.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Theresa

Jeans are not appropriate in the dining room for dinner but you can wear them on excursions, to the ports, during the day, etc. . . <BR><BR>Light cotton clothes (resort weather) are often more popular because it is "lighter".

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Elisa

Theresa: My husband and I will be on RC Splendour of the Seas. They sent us a video of the ship which was beautiful, but overwhelming. Of course everyone was decked to the hilt and the first thing that came to my mind was "I've got alot of shopping to do!" <BR>In response to your post, that's exactly what I was planning on doing: I have all my outfits, which are more "resort wear" and nice casual because we will be traveling in Europe which is more conservative when entering churches and cathedrals. I also have the appropriate night/dining outfits. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't look out of place if I felt like wearing jeans during the day on the ship or an excursion to Malta.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 03:52 PM
linda

Elisa,<BR> Please don't wear jeans to the dining room. It is embarassing for them to ask you to change as well as to you. Carnival cruisers are the worst for this infraction. If you are in the Caribbean or a warm climate, you may be uncomfortable in jeans. Are you large? Consider a long sarong over your suit, or a one-piece coverup which is more like a dress. Longer, conservative shorts of nylon are really comfy and dry quickly should you be swimming. Capris are good at all dinners/breakfasts except on the formal nights. They are very popular right now, and you can find them in conservative styles and in light, comfortable fabrics! Jeans are for back home- dress for fun and comfort and have a great time!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Theresa

Elisa - <BR><BR>During the day - I wear jean shorts to shore excursions and a top. There are no problems with that.<BR><BR>On breakfast and lunch on the ship - you can wear shorts or jeans. I think they just request "no torn shirts".<BR><BR>At night, on formal nights - I dress up. On smart-casual nights, I wear sun dresses.<BR><BR>By no means - don't go out and buy new clothes unless you really want to. Capri pants, shorts, tshirts, etc. . are all appropriate for excursions on port days.<BR><BR>For example - I went to Tulim once from Playa de Carmen. It was so hot that if I had jeans on, I would have died of heat. Anything heavier then a tshirt would have been uncomfortable.<BR><BR>Make sure the clothes you bring are comfortable!<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>Relax and don't worry about clothes - you will be fine.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Paul Therault

Not only are jeans too hot in the caribbean but they are also heavier in your suitcase.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Lisa

Everyone has good points about jeans. While you can wear them during the day, they will be too hot for most destinations. Paul makes a good point, they take a lot of room in the suitcase, are heavy and take forever to dry. Look into lightweight, versatile, creaseproof pants (check out some of the travel catalogues and websites like travelsmith.com.