Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

It pays to keep an eye on your cruise after you book. Might save some $

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I just happened to be on the net checking prices for the cruise we booked for Oct. there was a big price drop and as we had not made final payment yet I was able to go from a veranda on 6 with a partially obstructed view to an amidships veranda on 9 for $500.00 less!

So lesson learned is keep checking. Sometimes a blind squirrell gets a nut.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 09:18 AM

You Lucky Dog !!!!
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

You bet I am. Actually sometimes booking early can save money, sometimes not. This price drop came after the Concordia accident and the prices dropped even more after we booked. Well I was content to leave it alone but as luck would have it........

BTW just took my 5 and 7 woods in for a shaft swap, steel to granite. A sign of the times I suppose. .
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 03:13 PM

My irons have steele shafts but all my woods, Driver, 3, 4, 5 and 7 are all graphites!

Yep sign os the times. Father
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM

oops it posted for no reason

Like I was saying :
Yep, sign of the times ! Father Time favours no one.

UniWorld River Cruise Lines keeps sending me great sales on all their cruise next year.

I just might be tempted to take them up on it.

I did their Bucharest Romania to Vienna last year.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM

Larry ... Steel to granite? Hmm ... wouldn't it be very heavy lifting granite to hit golf balls? That would be my type of typo. You probably mean graphite!

Becasue of committment to my son (and her girl freind), we are doing another boring Carribbean cruise this winter. We just got another $300 discount per person on a top level category balcony. The cost is now under $700 per person for a BB.

Yep. It pays to check prices and ask for "promos", even after it's booked, and even after final payemnt, if you see better prices, you can still ask.

On our trip to Panama canal a few years back, the price dropepd after final payment. We asked for a price adjustment. Instead of giving us the difference, they offered us a suite as an upgarde in lieu of a credit or refund which we gladly accepted. Just too happy to be in a suite for Balcony pricing. The people next door to our cabin paid almost 3 times what we had paid for theirs and they thought they had a good deal.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

D I did mean grafite or graphite however you spell it.

I have seen where you can get upgrades or OBC after final payments have been made by asking for them. it never hurts to try. Its CS smart actually I think.

My irons are steel but but todays technology they are pretty light actually though some day I'll need the graphite.

Ironically I switched from graphite irons to steel ones around 10 yrs. ago or so and its still OK.

My current irons are fitted Ping G-10's and the guy who fitted me was a Welshman working at Golf Galaxy nearby. He did a great job and actually came to the same conclusion that my previous fitter did in terms of lie, shaft and length. His wife had a great job so he did not need to work and she got a transfer to Palm Springs CA. Having been there once in the summer time I could not help but think how this guy who was so used to British Isles weather would do during those blistering summer months.

Percy you were there last winter, correct.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Sure, keep checking! the most we could do on one cruise was to reduce the price on our invoice by $680.

Of course there were more times that the price went down after the final payment, but... even $50 cabin credit is better than nothing!
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM

jacketwatch

Yes I was in Palm Springs in late Janaury /February.

it was in the low 80's then... better stay in the shade in the summer
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

I hear that. I was there many yrs. ago in July. Man it was hot. Thank God I was only 17 then.( Just a few yrs. ago S Couldn't have taken it otherwise.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Hot is not the word for Palm Springs in the summer.

I was there for a week once visiting a friend and it was 120 F..... but it cooled dowm at night to 104 F