Search

Beer on board

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Mary

Beer on board

I will be going on the Golden Princess this weekend. Is there a store at Port Everglades where I can buy my own liquor before boarding.<BR>Also, what about bringing a case of beer on board?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Ted

Check your travel documents or agent. Many lines will take the beer away from you before boarding and give it back to you after the cruise. They say its to control drinking on board but in reality it is to make you buy it from them at a high price. In general, you can buy a six pack on shore for what they will charge you for just one beer. Look at some of the older posts about bringing alcohol on board for more info. This issue has been covered here so many times that I doubt you'll get much of a response.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:58 AM
Seahorse

BB,<BR><BR>Read recently where NCL xrays the luggage. If they think they see a bottle of booze the luggage is pulled and you are asked to report somewhere on the ship to open your luggage. They hold the bottle of booze until the end of the cruise.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:20 PM
Paul Therault

A bit silly to attempt to drag a case of beer onto a ship. They certainly will not allow it.<BR><BR>Here's something that is rather hilarious. I was returning from a shore tour on the Carnival Pride and directly behind the security checkpoint was a table manned by a crewmember. On the table was a sign that stated "turn in your liquor bottles here."<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:23 AM
Justin

Paul, I am not Peter, but I have to say that you are wrong. My last 3 cruises I have brought on a 6-pack of beer and 2 12-packs of Coke in my checked luggage. I have never had a problem and I don't know how anyone can tell the difference between beer and soda cans inan X-ray. The ships really don't care (assuming that you bring it on in your suitcase). It might be different when you are at a port and try to smuggle it on, but Mary asked about boarding while in the USA.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Paul Therault

Of course Justin. Mary is talking about bringing a case, not a 6-pack.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Justin

It still changes nothing. As you can ssee from reading my earlier reply, I have brought on a toital of 30 cans in my suitcase on 3 different cruises. Thus, whether it is a case (24 cans) or a 6-pack, I don't think that it will matter (so long as it is in the suitcase (checked luggage)), and you do not try and carry it on board. I have seen people wheel about 5 cases of soda on board in plain view of everyone when they boarded - no problem. But I think if you want to bring on beer, you better keep it stashed in your suitcase..

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Paul Therault

Five cases if soda? You gotta be kidding? Are you sure it wasn't the guy that fills the vending machines?<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:00 AM
deedles

I really can't believe people are so cheap that they have to try and "smuggle" a few cans of beer or soda on the ship just not to have to pay for it on the ship. UNREAL! Splurge a little, it's a vacation! Are a few cans of soda or beer really going to make or break you?

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Dave

Deedles, why does it bother you so much that people are smuggling soda on board? If they are cheap, why do you care?<BR><BR>To answer your question, if you have room in a suitcase, why not throw a 12-pack inside. Assuming that you drink 12 cans of soda for a 7 day cruise, that cost you $3 at the grocery store. If you pay for each can on the ship, it can range from $20 -$40 depending on whether you smuggled on soda or beer.<BR><BR>That is some extra gambling money for the slots, or it can go towards buying a formal night picture.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:45 AM
deedles

My question is, when your paying $1500 or whatever for a cruise, could another $20-$40 make or break you? Think about it. Anyway, I sailed on Carnival last year and they did not let us bring any beer or liquer onto the ship, nor could we be bothered trying to smuggle it in. That's just what I want to do, get caught trying to smuggle a 6 pack of coke onto the ship and get caught.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:26 AM
rudy

Does anyone know what Disney's policy is? I was thinking of bring some wine onboard.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Paul Therault

Disney does not have a liquor policy. You can bring on whatever you like. <BR><BR>As a general rule ... if you pay a high price for any cruise, carry-on liquor is allowed and I doubt they will charge a corkage fee.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:35 AM
rudy

Are there places where we board the Disney cruise in Cape Canaveral to purchase wine?<BR><BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Lenore

Deedles - There are other reasons, besides being cheap, to carry on your own soda. I don't drink coffee or tea at all.....I hate the flavor of both. However, I do like a caffeine jolt every morning like most adults. I drink Diet Mt Dew. Laugh all you want, but that's what I like and want each morning. Most ships carry only Coke products and even if they carried the Pepsi line, they surely will NEVER include Diet Mt Dew. I plan to bring enough for my morning "fix" on my next cruise. I will also buy a soda sticker for other times of the day when a Coke or whatever will do.