Do NOT cruise with NCL unless...

Old Dec 12th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do NOT cruise with NCL unless...

I have been on over a dozen cruises, on various ships throughout Mexico and the Caribbean. The worst experience, by far, was the cruise I departed from yesterday. We sailed on the Norwegian Pearl, and were unimpressed with almost everything - clearly spoiled by other lines (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival). So, my recommendation is: Do not sail with NCL unless:
(1) you plan on eating in the cover charge restaurants for every meal (the food included w/the cruise was mediocre at best); (2) you enjoy standing in a small hallway for an hour waiting to disembark to port, with no instruction/information as to delays; (3) you enjoy a "private island" experience, which simply means you are on the NCL on the sand (NCL owns a man-made "island" in the Bahamas); and, (4) you don't have any complaints about anything. We quickly learned that NCL is not interested in feedback. There were many problems with our experience: rude staff, bad food, cold food, inconsistent information and service, etc., however, we only made one official complaint. We ordered wine at the Summer Palace (one of the "free" dining rooms - not recommended). It was a 2007 New Zealand chardonnay (not expensive) that was well past due. We've never returned wine before, but after one small sip, it was obvious that it was not drinkable - even the color was off. We asked for the sommelier to come over, taste the wine, and let us know what he thought. The (rude) server brought him over to the table. He refused to smell or drink the wine, even though we asked him directly to do so. He said, "if you don't like it, we'll take it off your bill." This was not the point - the wine should not be served to anyone; it should have been taken off the menu. The (also rude) sommelier blew us off, wouldn't discuss our concern, and left the table quickly. We continued to receive poor service from the (still rude) server, and couldn't wait to leave. I should note that we did buy another (twice the cost) bottle of wine, so it was not an issue of cost. We just wanted a quality product. Anyway, I went to the Guest Services desk the next day to discuss this incident. I was told that all of the dining managers were in a meeting, but that she would give them my message. She said that the "appropriate action would be taken." I don't know what this means, but basically, we were blown off again. I've never dealt with such poor customer service that was only made worse by the complete lack of interest in feedback. I've worked in customer service all of my life, and currently own an Inn - if we treated customers like this, we would be out of business.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Sounds pretty crappy. But sounds like you also have lots of cruising experience with nicer cruise lines. I think NCL would be good for a first time cruiser. Surprisingly, many cruiselines seem to own their own private island. I've never been on a cruise, but I'm not a fan of the whole disembarking & embarking process.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Not to be too cynical about it, but it seems to me that once you've booked and paid your money, your input is over. Except of course for the pitch for excursions. But then same there. Some lines are inherently better than others, but when it comes to complaints, and indeed, any real altruistic concern for the customer, they are pretty much cut out of the same bolt of cloth. I enjoy a cruise, but with air travel the way it is, I wonder how long it will be worth it. Message is, choose very carefully and make the most of it.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 03:03 AM

Typical "grudge poster" trying to indict an entire cruise
line based on crowds and one bottle of bad cheap wine could
happen on any line and in fact has to me on several others.
Honest balanaced reviews on the Pearl with the good and the bad can be found on cruisecritic.com. Lots of good stuff about
NCL can be found there.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 03:07 AM

Norwegian Pearl Cruises: Read 778 Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews. Find great deals, tips and tricks on Cruise Critic to help plan your cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/...cfm?ShipID=378

77% "Loved It" pretty good better than many others...
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Ari: Sorry, could not disagree more. For us we have had at times issues while on board. Not many but a few and our input into them has been recognized by the cruise company. Some companies like from what I have read over the yrs. don't seem to give a hoot about CS. I have seen complaints about this for MSC and Costa. Thats why I would never go w/ them but will stick to those companies who have treated me well after I have paid. I do think different companies have vastly different approaches to customer relations as do, for that matter different cultures.

As for NCL I do think they are improving as shown by the reviews they get on cruise critic. For me the jury is still out so to speak. I'd like to see more B4 I'd book with them. JM2C.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Interesting. A server refused to taste wine (ever thought he could've lost the job because of you?). Sommelier refused to stop selling wine YOU didn't like (are you sure it's in his power, not in somebody's above him?).

We cruised with NCL twice, love them except we prefer fixed seating for dinner.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
KVR

"(2) you enjoy standing in a small hallway for an hour waiting to disembark to port, with no instruction/information as to delays"

This happened on our Princess cruise this past September. So what. It takes time for them to clear for disembarktion. If you're own a cruise you might want to find some patience. Nobody made you stand in that line. Go do something else and when they line starts moving get back in. It only takes about 30 mintues to get off once they let you. I was more aggravated that they took the disembarketion pictures while standing in line and got other passengers in my $20 picture.

"(3) you enjoy a "private island" experience, which simply means you are on the NCL on the sand (NCL owns a man-made "island" in the Bahamas)"

And you say you have been on other cruise lines? Interesting as I know Princess and Royal Caribbean also have private islands ports. Does that also stop you from cruising with them again?

"He refused to smell or drink the wine, even though we asked him directly to do so."

It's more RUDE to insist or try and make someone consume something they don't want to or have to. If you didn't like the wine just say so. Have them take it off your account and get something else. Hold the drama please.

From your comments, it appears you were out of line and no customer service person will want to deal with that kind of arrogrant behavior. If you're that snobby about the way you cruise you should have known better from research not to book with that line in the first place.

Good luck on your next cruise. You might want to do more research on Cruise Critic next time before booking.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 07:52 AM

Yea a crappy Cruise Line!
We booked a cruise on the Getaway in December for February. We were talking to a travel agent and someone called us from NCL and told us if we booked thru them directly and prices went down that they would honor the new price. Well pricing went down $380 a cabin. We had 4 cabins booked. When I reached out to NCL I was told they would not honor the new pricing. Don't believe anything they tell you.
I will go back to cruising RCL and Princess Cruises.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Weird answer above. Anyway this post is pushing 4 yrs. old. Since then NCL ratings have improved a great deal and per a readers poll in CN Traveler mag, a recent poll, they are ranked #2 to Disney. The Getaway has very high marks on cruise critic as well. We will be on that ship I'm May so we will see for ourselves. Personally I think NCL has adjusted their product and has climbed up in ratings. That's why we will be trying them for the first time soon. Two TA's I know like their product and a friend of ours who we say today actually has taken two cruises with them with no issues. We'll see.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 11:29 PM

Fclevenger - are you before or after the final payment? The cruise lines do not give credit after the final payment date.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 10:38 AM

That's awful...I'm trying to find a good cruise for an upcoming family vacation...will have to cross NCL off the list. Now we're down to Celebrity and Princess.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 12:58 PM

AliciaJ.

You may want to check cruise critic first. The NCL reviews are pretty good especially for the Getaway and Breakaway. Also there are two sides to every story.
JM2C
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 05:55 AM

I think a lot depends on your family. NCL is a great line for families with kids. It's certainly not the only family-friendly cruise line, but the newer ships offer a lot, including extensive water parks. I'd almost always choose NCL over Celebrity with younger kids. It's a harder call with Princess, but I think both Royal Caribbean and Carnival are more family-friendly.

But if you are really into food, you'll find Celebrity a better fit, but the specialty restaurants there are double the cost of those on NCL.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 02:52 PM

OP's first post is a negative post....usually most people don't put a lot of clout in that.
Old Mar 31st, 2015, 12:42 AM

We were on NCL Dawn to a Bermuda 10/2014.(from Boston). Foods were good
Entertainments were better than Princess and Celebrity(we were surprised too).
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 06:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We've cruised on all the lines mentioned and we currently are holding a reservation for a Panama Canal cruise in The Haven on the Pearl for October 2016. We had a nice experience on the Getaway last year and are looking forward to the Pearl cruise.

There are so many subjective issues when one travels. I'm sorry the OP's experience was less than optimal and I am not the least bit sorry that ours was not less than optimal.

To coin a phrase, "whatever floats <B>your</B> boat."
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 09:49 AM

It seems that there is a chronic complainer for every cruise line. Some people go looking for things to complain about. I myself go looking for the good in cruises, not the bad. If I had a sommelier who didn't want to try some wine , then I wouldn't buy that wine. Why complain?? It would have to be a frosty day in June before I complained about anything on a cruise ship. I can appreciate that all the staff on a ship are stretched to the limits when it comes to customer service. On my last cruise , on RCI, I even cleaned the glass panes on the balcony so we could see out to sea more clearly. I even use a lint roller to clean up the cabin carpet before I set my bare feet down for the voyage. Helps to lift any hair or shards of broken glass that might be present….lol. True story. So to all that complain about the smallest inconveniences, you might be setting yourself up for an all-inclusive holiday instead of a cruise. Bon Voyage.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 02:39 PM

As someone in the hospitality industry you should have more respect for the Sommelier than demand they drink the corked wine. I suggest you received the
service you deserved. We have cruised with NCL twice and are looking forward to having a great cruise again this September on the Getaway.
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 09:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ppcox: chefdavidson insulted the sommelier <i>four years ago</i>. Was a one-time, hit and run poster so I'm sure he won't see your post . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -