Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Is it doable Livorno-Pisa-Florence-Livorno in a cruise day? if, so how?

Feb 13th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Title sort of captures the gist of the inquiry; cruise stops in Livorno at 8am, departs at 8pm. We want to see the Leaning Tower, not so crazy about going up. We have been to Florence before; my third favorite Italian city; would love to go back, though. that said, should I go to Lucca instead; never been there.... Thoughts?
Feb 13th, 2010, 06:21 AM

We're on a cruise in August that has a similar stop as yours although we don't depart til 11:00 p.m. I haven't been to Florence in years, but I think it really deserves more than 1 day so DH and I have decided to hit that on our future trip in Italy. So our game plan is to rent a car right at Livorno (a Hertz rep will be at the port) and drive ourselves to Pisa, Lucca and Torre del Lago Puccini. In fact, this is exactly one of shore excursions being offered by our cruise (Oceania) at a much higher cost! I've read there is actually more to see in Pisa than just the tower and Lucca looks interesting too. So we've opted for a rental car for the freedom and ability to stop and see what we want. I've talked to a lot of people who say it's not a difficult drive at all. As for other options, our cruise line is offering (of course) a shore excursion, or simply transport to Pisa. You can also take the train from Livorno - Pisa - Livorno too. If you look at the "Europe" forum on Cruise Critic you will see a lot of dicussion about this topic. If you're interested in the rental car contact - e-mail me (click on user i.d.) and I'll tell you who to contact. We did it all by e-mail.
Feb 13th, 2010, 07:43 PM

I would say Pisa or Florence, but not both. They are in opposite directions from the cruise port, though Pisa is much closer to Livorno than Florida. If given the choice, I'd certainly go into Florience. I would not drive. A train would be most convenient and would get you into the center of both cities if you really want to try to do both.
Feb 13th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Florence is such an enchanting city and even though I have been there before I would love to stop back even if for an hour!! The cruise critic forum has tons of groups and people doing both, Pisa and Florence, by limiting the time in Pisa (skipping going up the Tower) and heading out to Florence's Ponte Vecchio and Piazzas. I think we will join one of these groups. Thanks for the comments.
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:14 AM

WE WERE on the NCL GEM AND stopped at Livorno and with a private guide did Cinque Terra...on the way back to the ship we stopped at the Tower of Pisa.
Feb 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM

My cousin did both by renting a car in advance. Looks like this is the only way, as you are on your own and can drive wherever you want not waiting for anybody.
Feb 17th, 2010, 02:07 AM

Patandhank:

Please advise us on a car rental for Florence and Pisa.

[email protected]

Mahalo!!