Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Is anyone else getting calls from "Princess Cruises?" (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/is-anyone-else-getting-calls-from-princess-cruises-1711436/)

P_M Nov 25th, 2022 09:48 AM

Is anyone else getting calls from "Princess Cruises?"

I put that in quotes because I don't believe it's really Princess calling me.

I've cruised with Princess 3 times in the last 7 years, but at the moment I have no cruise plans. A few weeks ago, I got a call and the number on caller ID said Princess Cruises. I couldn't imagine why they would be calling since I have no plans, but I picked up anyway. They guy asked is this P_M, and I very stupidly said yes. As soon as I told him who I was, I realized this is probably a scam. They guy went on to tell me he's been assigned as my new cruise planner. I told him I'm not interested and do not ever call me again. I then blocked the number from my phone.

A couple of weeks later the guy called me again from a number that did not indicate Princess Cruises on caller ID. He started to leave a message saying he wanted to talk to me, but I disconnected the phone and blocked the number he was using.

I think if Princess actually were calling, they would have respected my request not to call again. These calls came on my landline, and we are already thinking about getting rid of that because we don't use it much and about 99% of the calls we receive on the landline are scams. We've only kept it because it isn't costing anything.

Am I alone in this or are there any other cruisers who are hearing from someone who claims to be with Princess or another cruise line?

thursdaysd Nov 25th, 2022 04:53 PM

Can't help with Princess, since I've never cruised with them, however I have a suggestion about the phone. I kept my landline until my recent move precisely because I wanted the scam calls to go there and not to my cell. I turned off the ringers on all the landline phones, although I left the sound up on the answering machine. Actual messages got left about 1% of the time a call went through to the machine, I don't know how many quit first. Since I never picked up I never had to deal with a scammer. I moved a couple of months ago and abandoned the landline, but I still get very, very few scam calls to my cell.

katybird Nov 29th, 2022 04:41 PM

Not Princess but NCL after browsing their website and being logged in. They follow up with an email.

Sassafrass Nov 29th, 2022 05:35 PM

I used to work with vacationstogo (which I still like), but after I started working directly with the cruise line, I sometimes prefer that. If you have worked directly with one of their agents, that agent may sometimes contact you. I have had reps from at least three companies we cruised with contact me. A few years ago, I was called by Princess.Their rep said they noticed we had taken three cruises on Princess and then none for four years. They wondered if we were still taking cruises and if so, why not Princess, and what could they do to entice us to return? No point in details, just that we got a great price for three balcony cabins during a prime time. So, yes, there is always the risk of scammers and companies pretending to represent the cruise line when they do not, but there are also cruise company reps who follow up with past cruisers.

P_M Nov 30th, 2022 08:31 AM

Thanks for all of your input.

It's hard to explain but my gut is telling me the guy isn't for real for a few reasons. His demeanor is not professional. I asked him not to call again and he did, from a different number since I blocked the first one. Additionally he called my landline and not my cell. When cruising with Princess (or anyone else) I've always listed my cell as the primary contact number. I'm not sure I've given Princess my landline as we don't use that.

I hear what you all are saying but I'm still avoiding the guy.

jacketwatch Dec 3rd, 2022 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by P_M (Post 17417485)
Thanks for all of your input.

It's hard to explain but my gut is telling me the guy isn't for real for a few reasons. His demeanor is not professional. I asked him not to call again and he did, from a different number since I blocked the first one. Additionally he called my landline and not my cell. When cruising with Princess (or anyone else) I've always listed my cell as the primary contact number. I'm not sure I've given Princess my landline as we don't use that.

I hear what you all are saying but I'm still avoiding the guy.

Have you called Princess to verify this?
Many scammers have numbers that you can't reconnect to. Have you tried to call that number back to see what happens?
My bet is it is a scam.
Good luck!

mlgb Dec 12th, 2022 04:48 PM

Nothing wrong with avoiding they guy. I doubt he has anything to offer. Anytime I log into my NCL account to look at cruises, I get spam calls. But I don't think it happens with Princess.

Re landlines, I "parked" my landline number with Number Barn. For $2.10 a month, I use it as my number of record when I fill out forms, and most of the spam calls go there. I also get unlimited text messages there which are transcribed to my email account. My message says "this number does not accept voice calls, please send a text or call my cell".

Dayenu Apr 11th, 2023 04:33 PM

After making reservations with Princes in the past, I was receiving the same kind of calls. Probably assigned travel agent have access to Princess information. They offered me freebies if I'd transfer my reservation to them. I just stopped talking to them, and they stopped calling.

mlgb Apr 11th, 2023 05:25 PM

I have a much worse time with Norwegian. Now I just use Vacations To Go for cruise reservations.

HappyTrvlr May 6th, 2023 02:06 PM

No cruise calls.