Is a balcony worth it?

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 07:48 AM
Carolyn

Is a balcony worth it?

Is it worth the money to get a room with a balcony? If so, do you need to book very far in advance? Also, if you've had a great room experience, let me know what ship. We're in the very early stages of planning and are open to anything at this point. Thanks!

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 09:19 AM
Dick Hardy

It can be - if the weather is nice and you are going to go somewhere where there is something to see. In Alaska or down the Mississippi, definitely yes. Others? Who knows. But be sure that your balcony doesn't take space from your cabin. We were on a Princess ship a few years ago and paid a premium price for a cabin only to find that all the cabins were the same size and, appaarently, the balcony used up cabin space.

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 04:53 PM
Lynn

I've been on seven cruises and happened to get an upgrade on one with a balcony suite and loved it. The great thing about the balcony is when you're leaving or coming into port, many people want to be on the deck, and with a balcony, you can be outside from your own cabin. Many times, my husband got up in the middle of the night and out of curiosity would go out onto the balcony to observe different sightings. The bottom line is, I liked it alot, but have survived other cruises without it. I would only book one depending on the increase in cost and would have to judge it based on that, i.e., is it worth XX$ to upgrade to the balcony.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 07:39 AM
Gail S.

I have been on six cruises. The only one wher I felt it was absolutely worth getting a balcony was Alaska. You are in sight of land the whole time and never know what you'll see. Well worth it for Alaska. For the Caribbean a window will do because you'll be outside most of the time.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 07:40 AM
Gail S.

I have been on six cruises. The only one where I felt it was absolutely worth getting a balcony was Alaska. You are in sight of land the whole time and never know what you'll see. Well worth it for Alaska. For the Caribbean a window will do because you'll be outside most of the time.

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 05:42 PM
Frank Theodore

We had a balcony for a Panama Canal cruise. It was worth it when going through canal, heat and crowd on deck. The value is hard to judge but in most cases you can upgrade on 2nd +cruise with the same ship line.

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 05:12 AM
John

Agree with above. We had a balcony on the Alaska inside passage cruise and loved it. Panama canal would be the other time it would be nice. Generally you are cruising or in open ocean so really have no view. We never "lounged" around in our cabin either except on the Alaska cruise. You always have a view and it stays light til 11 or 12 pm so well worth it. You can also hear the announcements. On the day you cruise the glaciers you can sit on your balcony and see and hear the sights and be a little warmer then up on deck.

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 03:28 PM
Sandi Holloway

Yes, a balcony is worth the extra money.
Breakfast on your private varandah. Just one of the many pleasures of having your own private ocean view.They do go fast so early booking is highly recommended.Go for it.

Old Feb 5th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Bonnie

Dear Carolyn:

Balconies are worth it. I have been on four cruises and I had a balcony for two of them --- going through the Panama Canal and the inside passage for Alaska. The privacy, convenience, and comfort are just three of the benefits.

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 05:28 PM
Kitty

to Carolyn: Have your tried any of the Windstar ships. They are the sailing vessels and are very nice. Star Clipper is nice, but cheaper. Kind of same effect. One expensive, one cheaper. But the cruising is great, ports are great. I think you would love it. No big nightclub acts. Quite, great sailing. Orient cruises, Marco Polo was fun also. Depends are how much you want to spend and where you want to go. But...try Windstar, Windspirit, Windsong. I have never heard anybody not like them.

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 05:09 PM
Olga

Carolyn - A balcony is worthwhile to me if you're cruising in warm weather and can "pop" out now and then. Awesome at night when the moon is reflecting off the ocean. While on an Alaskan cruise, we opted for an inside room since I awake as soon as the sun rises. In June the sun is up for approximately 20 hours. Also, Alaska can be rather cool for hanging out on a deck. For a great ship, try the Dawn Princess. We just cruised two weeks to the Southern Caribbean and it was as close as one can get to perfect. E-mail me if you have any specific questions. I know you'll enjoy your cruise.

Old Feb 23rd, 1999, 09:54 PM
Louise

My girlfriend is going to Alaska June 3rd and wants a balcony. The travel agency sort of suggested against since she said it is going to be cold and they probably will not be sitting out on the balcony much. Do you think it is still worth the money considering she is going so early in the season. So far all of the advice the agent have given has been great. Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 03:30 PM
rose

I had an upgrade to a balcony in Alaska. It was so rainy that we rarely used it. You can get weather info on the in cabin TV. There are so many places to see scenery that staying in cabin is not needed. I usually get an inside cabin. It is cheaper, better in rough seas, and encourages you to mingle.

Old May 12th, 1999, 04:24 AM
Elaine

Can only address Royal Caribbean, since that is line we choose.
In answer to your question...yes a balcony is worth it. However, on RCCL a cabin in Cat.'C' is more expensive than Cat.'D'. Both have balconies. We choose 'C' since we normally take an 11 night cruise and like to spend our time on the balcony having breakfast and cocktails in the evening. There is a huge difference in price. Cat. 'D' is exactly the same [but no bathtub] and also smaller in sq. ft. If you are considering RCCL they do have a webpage which gives all the cabin sizes. Sorry I do not have that handy, but do a search and if you are persistent you will find it!

And, yes, to assure a balcony [at least w/RCCL] those cabins are booked very early.
Have only taken 6 cruises, which is nothing compared to folks who have taken many more.
Early booking also gets you an 'early booking' rate if you want the cabin of your choice. Midship is a good location.

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 07:45 AM
jm

Take a look at how much more the balcony will cost, and then decide if you will get an opportunity to use it enought to justify the expense. In a regular cabin, the balcony is very small. You may be able to sit in two chairs, but not possible in two chaise lounges (and they are not usually provided in the smaller balconies. If you are going to leave early on shore excursions in the morning, you won't have time for leisurely balcony breakfasts. If you'll be gone all day on excursions, or prefer to be at the pool, you won't use it much. If you have early seating for dinner, you won't have the luxury of time to sit on the balcony for pre-dinner cocktails, etc.

When we last cruised, we were with our parents. We took a balcony for them, and for them, it was worth it. They did not go on shore excursions, and they like to read. The balcony provided a pleasant place for them to relax in the lovely weather without the noise and crowds of the pool area. It would have been wasted on us, however, as we did go on the shore excursions, and in deference to our folks and our kids, we had early seating. Hope this helps. Sometimes balconies can cost several hundred dollars more (for us Canadians, especially). If you're only going to use it for a total of a few hours, you might feel money better spent. Also, on many ships - especially the Celebrity line, there are lots of "quiet" nooks and cranniess on the non pool decks to lounge. Check out the stern ends of the stateroom decks.

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 09:19 PM
Paul

Hi Carolyn,
I am a travel agent and ALWAYS book a balcony. You never have to dress to go outside. Breakfast is great and so is an evening dinner (bring candles) on your balcony.

You MUST book well in advance, up to a year for the best suites.

Grand Princess, Carnival Destiny and Triumph do have many standard rooms with balconies that are usually available last minute.

Give it a try, Paul

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 04:38 PM
Sheila

Y E S ........had Cat D. on RCCL Splendor of the Seas . It was worth the little extra. Booked a year in advance so don't know about how far in advance. We used it for leaving port/cocktails, breakfast, and met a ton of people (mainly there) when pulling out from shore.
You'll not regret it !!! No cruise is ever a regret!!!!

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 06:36 AM
Kate

Balconies are great, if you plan to spend time in your room. My boyfriend and I were on the Destiny last year and had a suite, with balcony. I thought it was great, as did my boyfriend. He didnt want to leave the room! I had room service in the afternoon on the balcony every day. He liked to go out and read his book and sleep. I booked the cruise a year in advance. Im going on another Carnival cruise next week, but going as a share with a catagory 1A guarentee. I dont have the money for the balcony this time, but plan on spending more time up top on deck than in my room.
If your going to be with a special someone, then I recommend it, once you have one you wont want to book again without it.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 10:21 AM
karen

Have been on two cruises on Holland America Ryndam - had a large outside double with big picture window for the Alaska cruise. Caribbean cruise in a mini-suite with verandah. I'd repeat the exact choices if doing it over again! Went mid June to Alaska - it was too cold and breezy to spend time on the balcony or leave the doors open. Plus, the views are all around - we found it much more thrilling to be out on the open decks where one could walk to various vantage points. (And the price is significantly different.) To us, the Caribbean is another story - how wonderful to leave the doors open, have cocktails or a meal on the verandah, step out there in bathrobes, etc. The Ryndam's staterooms are larger than the comparable ones on Princess (according to our traveling friends who've been on both).

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:41 PM
balconey

YES YES YES YES...once you've had one you'll want to travel no other way! Imagine getting up every AM and being able to go out onto your balcony and see and hear the ocean?

You can leave your door open and feel like your outside...it is absolutely wonderful!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -