Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Is 11:00 am too early for a flight time home from San Juan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Tara

We are currently booked on a 11:00 flight out of San Juan. Is that too early? We don't want to miss our flight but the next one out is a long wait at the airport. We are currently booked on Carnival Destiny but am also curious about RC Adventure of the Seas.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Andy

Yes- It is way too early--- WIth all the security on the ships and customs, I would not book a flight out of San Juan until 1pm at the earliest.....<BR><BR>IF you get to the airport early, you may be allowed to board an earlier flight if it is available, but I wouldn't BOOK the early flight on my own...just in case you didn't make to the airport early--<BR><BR>You should be off the ship by 9 am at the latest and there is a 2 hr check-in for international flights--<BR><BR>To me, this is cutting it too close...

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:35 PM
julie

Never, never, never book yourself on a morning flight after you dock. You will never make it. Take it from one who has missed 2 morning flights. Ask for the afternoon flight....you can take your time getting your luggage, getting on the bus and getting to the airport. They also have morning rush hour in San Juan.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Lynn

I have cleared the destiny with a group of friends when it first came out, at that time you could book after 11am, all 22 of us missed our flight and had to stay the night. You won't clear the ship till 10-10:30am. We are going back on it next year, april 27th. I guess there saying after 12:30pm is fine.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Tara

I called Carnival who told me after 11:30 is what they recommend. Our flight leaves at 11:05 am.... 25 minutes later. We're flying on miles and that's the only seats available that day unless we want to stay another night (which I don't). If I got to the pursurs desk and get a tag to be one of the first ones off due to my flight, you don't think that will work?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Tara

Oops... I meant we're 25 min. EARLIER than the recommended time.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Andy

Tara- Do NOT risk it-- Listen to the posts-- we have all been there---<BR><BR>If you are on FF miles, then bite the bullet and stay another nite in a hotel on the beach and enjoy yourself-<BR><BR>If you miss your flight and are on FF MILES, you are going to be the LAST one to get on the plane---they will take paying passengers first....( I am talking about if you miss 1st plane and need to try to get on 2nd plane).

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Charles

"Do NOT risk it-- Listen to the posts-- we have all been there"<BR><BR>Correct. If there are no flights at all later than 11:05am, you have an option. Not very good.<BR><BR>Before you leave home have your TA arrange to have a car waiting at the San Juan dock beginning at 7:30am on the day of your arrival.<BR><BR>Arrange with the purser's office to be permitted FIRST OFF after the ship is cleared.<BR><BR>Skip breakfast and stand at the door waiting for final clearance, then move rapidly to the dock, address the INS and customs formalities in a polite and non-rushed manner, then find your car and go.<BR><BR>The taxi will have his meter running from 7:30am so plan on having lots of money to pay him. (US$)<BR><BR>If you do all that, you have a 50/50 chance, at best, of making your flight.<BR><BR>Now, that's probably the lousiest way to finish a cruise...rushing and sweating all morning.<BR><BR>My suggestion is a repeat of others. Forget the same day flight. Book a night in Old San Juan and relax with a mai tai, a singapore sling and/or a rum swizzle and soak up one more day of paradise.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Lynn

I've already talk to a travel charter co. thats going to do our transfers(with the group), they said we would clear the Destiny 10-10:30, which we did last time and had first ones of the ship. Its very hard to get out on sunday once you miss your flight. You can try it but have a back up hotel to stay at, plan on sitting in the airport all day(if your going to try to get the airlines to pay for you hotel) they paid for ours, but they didn't have to because we booked our flight times. All I can say is out of 22 people not one of us could get out on sunday, by the way our flight was for 11:05am.lol.<BR>Lynn

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Tara

Thanks for the great replies. I took your advice and surprisingly when I called the airline today a 3:30 pm flight had opened up. There is a 2 hr. layover involved (rather than the direct flight we had at 11:00 am) getting us home at 8:00 pm rather than 2:00pm , but, I guess it's better to be on a confirmed flight than sitting in the airport all day, huh???? Thanks again everyone!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:49 AM
deedles

I took that flight home and made it in no time. Actually if I remember correctly we got there by 9ish

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Charles

Tara, excellent! Now you can relax, have a nice breakfast, do a little last minute shopping in Old Town, then make your plane in comfort.<BR><BR>You won't regret it.<BR><BR>Have a great cruise!